1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gear change . . . again

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by anonymous02282011, Mar 7, 2008.

1. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Ric, thanks. I know they're different amps. Mine does have a Mono/Stereo switch. I think that'sfor linking w/ another amp?

BG

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Regarding the Wizzy 10 cabs: I find that coupling two of these together dramatically increases the low end response and the "thickness" of the sound, especially when stacked vertically. The first time I did this, I had to really crank up the HP filters to compensate. If I liked that big plush low end, however, I could have just left them alone. YMMV.

3. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    You know, I actually sold my wizzy10 to buy up new gear, and I recently listened back to a minidisc i'd made of a gig using that little trooper. I REALLY regret selling it! although the 208 should lessen my woe.

Chris, are you primarily using the w10 now?

(Oh, and I don't really own a collection of cacti.)

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yes, exclusively. I have two, and usually only take one. When the dust settles on the semester and I feel up to dealing with it, I plan on selling all of my other gear (VL208, 2 VL108's, AMT mic, and some other stuff) and getting on with the whole "the stuff I'm using is plenty good enough to make music with, so I'm gonna quit lusting after more stuff and go make some music now" phase of life. The Wizzy 10's aren't perfect, but they make life so much easier, and I like that. :hyper:

5. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Columnist — BassMagazine.com, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    Hey Chris: Since we've already had bow-fencing and thumb-position wrestling at past Aebersold camps, maybe we should do amp-and-speaker-cabinet-tossing this coming summer. That might make for some pretty good master-class fun from your second floor office window. Or maybe we should get a blender for the pickups and mics and little stuff . . .waddya think?

John

6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Bribass,
    The "mono" "stereo" switch allows you to use the Channel 2 pre amp to drive a second power amplifier. Walter actually built slave power amps for a while. So in effect it disconnects channel 2 from the power amplifier.

Ric

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Heh. I'm just glad I got you at thumb-position wrestling after you whipped my butt in arco fencing (glad it wasn't a contest in thumb position playing, though, or I'd be 0 for 2). How about this: given how expensive this stuff is, how about we get a big inflatable field and make it like bass-cabinet-shotput? That way, we don't wreck our gear, but we could choose what cab was best to schlep to the gig by which one we could throw the farthest. I'd like my chances with the Wizzy 10 in that one. :)

8. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    OK, but how does it "disconnect" 'cause ch 2 does work when using the unit normally as an amp , even w/ the stereo switch engaged.

So, if I was let's say using the WW as a pre and a Focus as a power amp, only Ch2 would work on the WW?

THNX, Bri

9. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    Ah, now I see what all the fuss is about the VL208. Very natural, yet meaty where it needs to be. Lot of options between the mid and tweeter settings and all the settings on the amp. It seems I can dial in just the right mids; there is also more than enough high end with that tweeter. I'll be putting it to the test on some gigs soon. I'm also waiting for that bridging cable so that I can put a full 700 watts through it. I think that will help the cab open up, b/c right now I'm only pushing it with 225watts.

The one problem I have is there seems to be some mechanical vibration on Eb, Bb and sometimes Ab. I don't think it's coming from the speakers, perhaps the grill or the handle. That's only when the amp is really cranked. I'll have to look it over when I get a minute.

10. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    I should've called this thread "gear change, again and again and again etc".

I have some down time today and wanted to publicize my experiences with the various heads and cabs I've used in the last year. I've been going back over my bootlegs (I record all my gigs) and did a "blindfold test" for each set up.

My starting point was with the GK400rb and an ElectroVoice 12" in a Sonic cab. It was OK, but nothing special. The GK was starting to crap out, and had been in and out of the shop for a couple of years. I always felt that I could get a manageable sound from this setup, but, again, it was nothing special. On it's own, it didn't put a smile on my face. That's what I was looking for: when I plug my electric basses into my SVT and 2x15, play a couple of notes . . . . it makes me smile. That's what I was looking for in a DB amp.

So, my first setup was the Acoustic Image Clarus paired with the wizzy10. This put a big smile on my face. You can read the thread I started about it for details. As far as sound and transportability, this set up is fantastic. Listening back: good low end, punchy and lots of clarity. My beef: while standing next to it, the mid range was a bit overwhelming and it didn't feel like the low end was big enough . But in hindsight, especially listening back, the low end was OK and the midrange is tamed a few feet out front. Volume wise, I imagine if you have two of these cabs, you'd be able to play as loud as needed short of PA support. I longed for trying it with an Mline, but alas, that didn't happen. I ended up selling my little wizzy, but boy do I regret it.

I next paired the Clarus with an EVtl606 (a 15" cab). This was very nice, lots of thunk, nice low end, punchy, clear. The only downside is the size/weight of the cab. When I built it, I had it coated with truck bed liner, which is great for the cab but can mess up nice clothes which is a pain when you're loading into a gig where you gotta put on the monkey suit. Other than size, this set up was very nice and fat, but a little dry sounding. I was in a "15s are the only way to go" mood for a while. On the other end of the spectrum as compared to the wizzy10 but still, very nice.

The Clarus, I should say, is amazing. That little amp is a workhorse and I can't recommend it enough. Thoughtful design, nice tone, etc. I'm preaching to the converted. I can't imagine a more natural sounding amplifier for the DB.
    That having been said, I found a good deal on a Walter Woods stereo and ended up selling the Clarus for the Woods. It was, for me, an improvement soundwise. It's certainly more colored than the Clarus and short of maintenance problems that may come up, it's the best amp I've ever played DB through. The DI is not as good, but usable. (I do have another DI box I bring if necessary.) I miss the "cleanness" of the Clarus, but if I do end up buying another AI amp it will be a single channel Focus. I like having a bit more power instead of a second channel.

The Woods: it's got "oomph". Nice, tight low end, "three dimensional", and all the midrange "intonation information" pops right out. Works like it should in any given room. What I really like about this model in particular is that it runs 2 channels stereo and can be bridged to 700 watts. That's alot of power!

OK, so I got the amp squared away, but still looking for some cabs. I went through the VL208, the epifani ps112, and a bergantino ex12.

First, the Epifani. Like the wizzy10, I sold this after a couple weeks of gigs and wish I never did. My beef with it was that it sounded incredible in certain rooms and kind of electricky in others. I often found the "F" and "E" on the g string to be a little louder than the rest of the neck, which was a bit odd. At its best, it's got a very aggressive sound but is still very natural. Cuts like a knife. I never turned the tweeter up more than half way. Listening back to my recordings, I really like the low end and the aggressive nature of this cab paired with the Woods. This combo was a winner.

Swap out the Epifani for the Bergantino for a more hi-fidelity sound. Very rich lows, more natural than the Epifani, just as loud. The overall dimensions are much smaller so it's easier to fit into a car (although it is heavier), and there's no tweeter here. I ended up keeping the Bergantino. I may let it go, I don't know. It's very organic and natural. Again, a very distinct and usable cabinet.

After much waiting and searching, I was able to get a VL208 sent to me from a nice fellow in Tennessee. He was selling it on CL. The 208 is it. With the Walter Woods, it's dark and meaty, yet very articulate. You can hear (or at least feel) the flesh on my fingers tugging at those strings. It's the most natural of all the cabs I've tried, and, yes, it certainly makes me smile. It sounds great in any room; there's no question in my mind that the Woods with the VL208 is money. As far as the wierd buzzes go, I got that squared away by taking it a tech, who soldered all the crimp on connections on the crossover board. (Thanks RobGrow!)

I can't really list these off from best to worst, but for DB the 208 is my favorite. All the others are so good at what they do, it really comes down to personal taste. I'm sooooo regretting selling off the gear that I did, but I couldn't keep it all, for lack of space and budget.

So, after about a year on TB and lots of different transitions, I think I've found "the one". Thanks all.