1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gearing up for live shows

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by kbakerde, Mar 1, 2013.

1. kbakerde

kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Hey guys,
    I am a bassist in my mid 30's. I played in a band back in college, but it was just a basement band, and since then I have just been a bedroom player. I have recently began jamming with other players recently and am possibly hooking up with a guy putting together a band to do live shows and cut an album. This guy already cut an album almost totally on his own that is pretty good.

So I have never really played live other than some open mic nights, and it will take a while before the band comes together at a performance level. But I want to be prepared, and want to know what, if anything, I am missing that is crucial/recommended/desired for a gigging bassist. Here is what I have at my disposal:

Basses - I have two basses in my stable right now, Fender Jazz with active pickups and a P-Bass I put together. I will be adding a third in the next 6 months as my SGD Lutherie powered Fenderbird comes together.

Amps - I have a Bassman 135 and 215 cabinet I love the sound of, and it can get pretty loud. If that can't hack it, I sold my BG250 to the guy I would be playing with, and I could combine it with my Ashdown 515 for a makeshift 350w 215 stack. The Bassman also has a 1/4" line out to go to a PA.

Other - I have a headstock tuner, cables, cases for the guitars, I have an old passive direct box, and an old AB Switch Pedal.

Thanks for your help.

2. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    I would recommend a pedal tuner, my headstock tuner can get a little crazy with all the vibrations at a live show especially when on a portable stage

3. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    DI box would've been my answer, but you seem to have that covered.

Spare cables, a XLR cable or two...

If the Bassman only has a 1/4" line out, use that to connect to your passive DI box, then XLR to the PA. Be careful though, because the line out is most likely dependant on the master volume.

If you don't have super loud stage volume, the Bassman will most likely be sufficient. If you have PA support, don't worry about it.

I think you're good. If you take two basses (as you should), you can skip the extra strings.

4. masterFlash

masterFlash

Jul 6, 2009
    detroit
    put together a gear bag.
    a couple of extra 1/4 inch instrument cables.
    Black extension cord (at least 25 feet)
    Black Power strip (black because it blends\hides better on stage than those garish Orange ones).

Definitely a pedal tuner. (Boss TU-2,TU-3, Korg Pitch Black)

extra batteries (9 volt and \or AAs)

Are you gonna sing at all or talk to audience?
    then
    microphone + Stand + XLR cable.

Also since you're bringing 2 basses. Get a 2 instrument stand\tree. that way you can do a quick change if needed.
    And before the show, during breaks and afterwards your bass isn't just leaning against the amp waiting to fall over.

5. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    Extra instrument/mic cables
    Extra batteries
    Mic/cable stand if needed/extra mic clip
    Extra mic stand
    Back up mic
    Guitar stand
    Gaff tape
    Power strip
    AC extension cord
    Extra power cables for amp if it uses removable type power cable
    Amp stand
    Extra speaker cables
    Back up bass head/amp or DI option if amp fails.
    Cable ties
    Gig bag/case or 2. I like a snare case/bag for cables.
    Short mic stand/mic for cab
    Extra guitar strap
    Guitar polish cloth
    Fast fret string cleaner (personal pref)
    Gerber or Leatherman multi tool
    Zip ties
    Flashlight
    Fuses
    Strings

6. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    My gigbag is a simple, cheap backpack I got at some conference I attended.

It contains everything I need to play a small to medium club gig (or similar) except a bass, a speaker cabinet, and any pedals I can't do without.

It weighs 14.5 pounds as a result of the weight reduction kick I have been on recently. Mind you, this includes the amp head.

Here is what is inside:

• 1 GK MB-Fusion amplifier
    • 1 Power cable for the amp
    • 1 15 foot medium-duty extension cord
    • 1 6 foot extension cord with a 3-plug tap
    • 1 additional 3-plug tap
    • 1 3' Speakon speaker cable
    • 1 3' 1/4" speaker cable
    • 1 15' instrument cable
    • 1 10' instrument cable
    • 1 Set of allen keys
    • 1 Roadie Rench
    • 1 Cable snips
    • 1 Needlenose pliers
    • 1 String winder
    • 1 Pen and 1 Sharpie
    • 1 Angled screwdriver
    • 1 Small case with things in it I might need mid-set (tuner, earplugs, lip balm, flashlight, a 9V battery)
    • Fuses
    • A few band stickers and business cards

Now that write this, there might even be a couple things here I can still do without - I am constantly trying to reduce to the necessary.

I also keep a spare set of strings in each bass case, and I usually cram a stand into some pocket on the bass case as well.

7. I've found a good rule of thumb is: take an extra everything if possible.

8. Make sure you have a box of tissues.

You are going to be crying at the end of the show because you had so much fun and are wondering why you didn't start this 10 years earlier... ;)

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

2 xtra speaker cables
    2 xtra inst. cables
    xtra patch cables
    spare set of strings
    xlr/mic cable
    tuner
    compressor
    VTBass or other dirt/pre
    GK700 RBII
    GK 1x15 Neo
    SWR S.O.B
    Pens
    duct tape
    extension cord
    power strip
    picks
    paper

10. timonvh

timonvh

Oct 16, 2010
    I carry most/all of what's been mentioned to gigs, but I wouldn't be anywhere without a cheap pair of reading glasses if it came to changing strings/doing small setup changes. Of course I'm old, but hey...

Timon