1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Lee Jazz New Price.... WHAT?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trb6pJM2, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just went to my local Guitar center and they had Brand New Geddy Jazz basses in. And I looked at the price expecting to see the already exorbinent $999.99 price tag. But it was nowhere to be found. The tag read an ASTOUNDING $1219.99!!!!!!!!!!! I thought, this has to be marked wrong! Nope, the tag read Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. And this WAS the street price, not list. List was 1399 I believe

That's over twelve hundred dollars for a CIJ that cost $800 about a year ago. Fender is going crazy.... :scowl:

2. Eh, welcome to the recession.

For that price, I'd order myself a nice US Custom Shop Cirrus or something.

3. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    :bag:

4. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    geddy's went from 899 to 999 in my area

5. Geez, last I had seent ehy were still like 799.

6. I bought mine in 2004 for 630 and change shipped, who would have thunk in 5 years you could double the price of something that has remained the same since they introduced.

(should have kept the damn thing and sold it now-a-days)

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Is what it is, but for my money, there's alot of choices in that price range.

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Funny that they're "appreciating" - but the used ones are still going for $500-$700 on the street as they always have - so...do the math there

9. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    I bought my for $600 3 years ago. Sold it about 2 years ago. *sigh* should of held on to it and made a profit.

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    That's what I'm saying - I dont think you would make a real profit - unless Guitar Center is taking them in for more money now that they're going out for more brand new

11. I bought mine for $850 and literally a week later they went up to $999... that was really lucky... :D

12. Wonder if it has anything to do with being in the movie I Love You, Man.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

This has been debated here many times recently, but the price is IMO insane.

When a new CIJ Fender Jazz is approx the same price as a used Sadowsky, something isn't right.

They still only command $600 or so on the used market, so buy used. Not to be an @$$, but anyone that pays $1200+tax for a new GL is nutty upside the head IMO.

GL's are amazing basses BTW...but my $1250 Sadowsky was MUCH better.

14. dpbass613

dpbass613

Feb 21, 2009
    I used to work in a music store, across the board all fender prices have gone up 20 percent which was supposed to happen as of february 1st, some stores have not had not marked them up yet...i think the reggie hamilton custom shop V is 3400 now, marcus miller V is 2400, all standard mexicans are sitting at 6 and above. love the fact that the reissue 75 jazz goes for 2400, which is what the real ones were going for as of late...guess that means my real all original one will be going up soon too!!!! thank you fender

15. Antman3820

Antman3820 Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    I paid $510.00 shipped off someone 2 years ago....Upgraded it. Seeing what Fender wants for them now, Ill be keeping mine for a while...

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Payed $600 for mine new a couple of years ago! Not to long ago on this very board some of you raved about how good the Geddy and the Marcus Miller bass was (payed $789 for mine) and they were so much better than MIA basses. I wonder how those guy's feel now! MIA basses haven't doubled in prices! :scowl:

17. JERK!

JERK!

Dec 30, 2008
    So Cal
    Just picked one up off of eBay (used) for $600.

18. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    These threads won't ever end, will they? :crying:

I swear, every other day.

Let's say it again.

Fender increased prices across the board. So did a bunch of other companies, and theories as to why are as numerous as members here on TB, so take your pick. This is old news. It might be a good idea to make it a sticky, honestly.

19. mike.b

mike.b

Aug 21, 2007
    england
    you'd of thought with the recession an all the price wouldv'e actually gone down.but no...its the usual greedy corporates wonderful marketing thats gone mad.
    methinks i'll be keeping my bass and rig for a long while to come.

20. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I bought one used a couple of years ago for $500 in mint condition. I ended up trading it (plus cash) for a Ric but got considerably more for it (I named how much I wanted for it and then made up the difference in cash...needless to say it was a handsome figure)

They are great basses and I hope to buy another one at some point, but not for $1200.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.