1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee was kidnapped!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SMILEYSIXX, May 12, 2011.

1. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Now that I have you attention. At my school, our Geddy Lee bass was stolen (For the record, when I find out who did it, I plan on beating them senseless). There are five people at my school who know the combination to the guitar locker. The first jazz band bassist noticed first, then told me. We subsequently went searching for it, to no avail. However, we did run into two others who know the combination. Either they're telling the truth about not taking it or they are fantastic liars.

There is one more guitarist, however. Every had assumed him from the beginning. He dodged texts about the bass and skipped class so no one in the music department could question him. Later, a teacher caught up to him. He claimed that he hadn't seen it, though clearly knew what it was. I ask him later and he claims to not know the school even had one, despite my playing it before and numerous class discussions about it (and my distaste for it, I know, it's blasphemy!). Kinda odd that he's mixing up stories. How would you handle the situation?

2. I would talk to the faculty about it and see if they can do anything.

I also would not leave an expensive/loved bass at school, out of my sight.

3. bmb73

bmb73

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    Let someone higher up than you take care of it. I assume you are a student, let the teachers or law enforcement take care of it.

Someone who steals is a complete dirtbag, but if you get personally involved by fighting or something along those lines the outcome will not be good.

4. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    I would have the school replace it with a Fodera bass.

5. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I would go a step further and say that if the faculty knows the situation then it is no longer up to you to handle. If you hear or see anything else that you think is pertinent to the situation then tell whoever in the faculty is in charge of keeping track of these things. It is not up to you to resolve, and attempting to do so is very likely to only lead to more problems.

6. Aw...that sucks!

All I can think of offhand is to let the school authorities handle it (as opposed to y'all beating him senseless...that'll just get the rest of you in DEEP trouble); be sure the police are alerted and inform them of your suspicions; check every pawn shop you can find and let them know that it may appear; watch Craig's List and the newspaper classifieds, for the same reasons.

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Maybe a teacher took it for a gig (or to impress a bassist), and is waiting for things to die down before putting it back.

8. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Totally exaggerating the beating him senseless part :p The teacher says if no one fesses up, she's going to campus security, but even then, the other bassist and I are the only ones who would recognize it as the bass that was taken so we would still have to be involved. Campus security at my school will NOT actually put forth effort into this kind of thing as the music program is well aware and has experience, and the police or anything similar probably won't go after a bass that's only worth $800 at best.

9. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Thank God it wasn't my own, it was the school's. There was a student a few years ago, however, who had locked his MIA fender away and someone else opened the locker and neglected to close it and has bass ended up stolen and never recovered.

10. Apparently, theft of anything valued at $300 or higher in Florida theoretically fits the Florida definition of Third Degree Grand Theft*, a felony if conviction is achieved. I'm not going to beat you up over the internet about this but I do still think the police should at least take an official report, and as the son of two fomer high school instructors, I personally feel sad if the school will not pursue this at least that far.

* my source for this information

11. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    i hope the school take an action and put whoever did it on jail, yeah is a bass but what is next? a bank?, if you want a bass you should burn your ass to get the money and buy it.

12. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    If it comes to that, the police will get involved, but the school has security cameras in the hallway, so whoever took it WILL BE on camera, and the student will be expelled as soon as they find out who it is, and (I hope) sent to juvie.

It sucks that this kinda crap happens. Arts programs are underfunded to begin with, now someone goes off and steals an expensive bass from us when our school can't even afford new drum heads. It's ridiculous.

13. That sucks man. I hope it turns up. Just keep your eyes open for anything suspicious and like others have said check craigslist and the local pawn shops. You don't happen to have the serial number for it just in case it does show up at a pawn shop do you?

14. I say find out who took it, post a picture of that person in school and title it THIEF.

Or, find out who took it, get it back, then knock that person out and stuff him/her in the locker just before you smear it with road apples.

15. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I feel your pain. My personal bass was vandalized severely in band class when my back was turned. They could never force those who were responsible to pay for damages (about $500-$600 worth). We all knew who the culprits were, but since it was not caught on camera, it could not be proven. Ironic that one of 3 rooms (not counting restrooms) that does not have a camera in our school is the band room.

16. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Get a police report. If it shows up at a pawn shop or music store it'll be easier to get back.

Being Dog The Bounty Hunter and beating a kid up is not the right thing to do. It's the school's loss not yours. If they choose to not pursue it then let it go.

17. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I will be looking forward to seeing how this thread plays out.

18. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    The teacher (who was on a trip somewhere) walked into class, told us that if someone has it, if they just return it, everything will be forgotten. If no one returns it, a police report will be filed and everyone who could possibly have access to the locker room will be questioned. Oh what fun.

19. Hey, you and your other buddies have nothing to fear. And good to see that at least someone from the school is doing something.

20. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Change the security (tighten it) since there's already too many hands in the cookie jar, and escalate the problem to the Vice Principal and/or Principal.

When you talk to bigwigs in the front office, ask them if the next step should be a police report, and letting all students know that it is missing, and that it should be returned ASAP.