Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy's Winter Advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xush, Jan 27, 2004.

1. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  2. My friend told me about this today. Too bad Realplayer is so annoying. Keeps shutting down on me.

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Hah :)

"Hand the taboggin to your roadie to take it back up the hill"

Funny

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Happy new year!!!!!!

5. He's Canadian? Oh Geeze...

Wear a helmet while sledding? Oh Geeze...

6. He's always been Canadian. Rush is a Canadian band.

n00b:p

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Best part. :D

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    :p Hes worried about his brain!

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, I can now confess my little Geddy Lee moment I had at the weekend.

We just mastered our new album at Masterdisk here in NYC. The guy who mastered it, Roger Lian, is also the guy who mastered 'Vapor Trails' - the last Rush album.

He told us this at the final session, when we were doing the ordering, and pointed to the chair that Geddy had sat in the whole time while they were mastering.

Now, I'm an adult in his thirties. But at that moment, I was fifteen again and had to sit in that chair for a few minutes and soak up some Geddy mojo :oops:

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    did you ask him about the rumored 'clipping' and weird mix? There sure was a lot of flak over the mix when that album came out. Maybe it wasn't the mastering at fault, but I was just curious if you got into any of that.
    I don't suppose it would have been prudent at that juncture though.

That would be pretty cool to bask in the mojo!

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You know, I was itching to ask that question. I did see an article where they analysed the audio and found numerous instances of clipping.

But I couldn't think of any subtle way to effectively ask "so, who messed up there then?". Especially when our mastering wasn't finished yet!

But given the attention to detail he had, and his concern for getting the overall sound right, I'd tend to think it was either recorded with clipping or the record company got someone to remaster it later to make it 'louder'. We had one or two places where we were almost clipping, and he spotted them right away and tamed them down (it was our singer really going for it).