1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geezer Butler - IS BACK!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FireArm, Apr 27, 2009.

1. FireArm

FireArm

May 17, 2007
    Well... I know he didn't go away but seriously has anyone else heard the new Black Sabbath album? (they now go under the name Heaven And Hell for legal reasons) I picked up a copy today, I was worried because the three new tracks from the last album "The Dio Years" seemed to lack bass :meh: I prayed the new album wasn't mixed in the same way.

So I got the latest album today "The Devil You Know" and was blown away! Its such a strong album.. there's no filler every track is spot on, Sabbath just go to show that to write a good metal album you don't need to be playing 200bmp solos!

Anyway Geezers performance is excellent! every opportunity he gets he adds those signature bluesy pentatonic runs...

Here's one of the tracks - which even starts off with a short bass solo/intro almost like N.I.B!

Buy this album ASAP! even if your not a major Sabbath fan its worth it just for butlers old school bass playing!

2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Geezer Butler is the reason I started playing bass

waiting on my copy to come in the mail

3. Actually the review in our local paper was very positive about the album. On my "to buy" list.

4. i will have it tomorrow. cant wait.

5. metalbass777

metalbass777

Sep 3, 2006
    He never left. You left. Top bassist on my list! New album slays!!!

6. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    ya, they rule :bassist:

7. CRONOS

CRONOS

Jun 30, 2008
    They are still heavy after all these years. :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Aren't bluesy pentatonic runs, like, one of the most overdone cliches in all of classic rock? :bag:

MM

9. metalbass777

metalbass777

Sep 3, 2006
    Yeah but he invented it. So it's all good.

10. FireArm

FireArm

May 17, 2007
    Yeah but when Geezer Butler does it its different!

11. :eek::eek::eek:
    I never knew they were even doing a new album! This ha made my week!!!:hyper:

12. ChorusPedal88

ChorusPedal88

Aug 25, 2007
    Geezer Butler should be knighted, from my hometown too and one of my heroes

Love that tasty distortion at the beginning and i presum thats an EHX bassballs he's toying about with.

13. dose

dose

Nov 2, 2008
    Mobile,AL
    :hyper:

14. i got it, i got it. it came with a dvd too. good to hear new stuff from the masters. in the back of the book geezer lists all his toys. gotta go listen and enjoy my new HH record.

15. ...that is NOT black sabbath...

...Ozzy, Geezer, Tony and Bill were Black Sabbath...

... this... is... just garbage, like anything after "Sabotage".

Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die! were only okay.

16. I dig that track. May have to pick this up!

17. 1...correct
    2...correct again
    3...if this is not sabbath why are you comparing this to them?

i will give you technical ecstasy and never say die.

18. Some of the best Sabbath ever recorded was with Ronnie. Dio is the consummate heavy metal vocalist

Heaven & Hell is one of the top metal albums...ever...:bassist:...followed closely by Mob Rules.

Anybody who claims that Sabbath ceased to exist after Ozzy left just isn't listening.

(And BTW, Ozzy did just fine after he left BS...)

19. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    I'm sorry but I would have to agree. I played paranoid 'till my ears bled, but the stuff after Ozzy... Not even a trickle.

20. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    I was at the record store when they opened this morning to pick this album up. Geezer's tone is huge! It is great to hear these guys making music together again- I like it!