1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geezer Butler

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Sublab, Nov 20, 2010.

1. What bass guitar is Geezer Butler playing on in the seventies?? The specs I can make out on old vids are the tuners being two on top of the headstock and two below, and four controls on the body. Anyone know what bass he plays?

2. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    From memory, it was early on a Precision. From there, Rics, those lucite bodied basses I cant think of the name, Alembic, and others. But he always sounded like Geezer no matter what he played on.

3. thx, the bass just looks awesome, especially the Children of the grave live version at California Jam in '74 has it shown thoroughly, looks like a beast

4. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    i guess that was the white alembic!!

5. I think the specific bass you are referring to is a danelectro though.

I wouldn't know the model by a long shot, but if you are seriously interested you'll be able to find it.

6. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    I also remember seeing a live clip where he was playing an 8-string.

7. It's a white four string

8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

He's played many many different basses throughout the years. I can't keep track of them all.

9. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    GeezerButler_LRG.

Here is the Alembic/Danelectro you are all wrong about.

Its actually a John Birch, or at a real push a Jaydee custom though those came later.

The footage you saw was the 1974 Cal Jam gig. He only used a Rickenbacker once, and it wasn't his it was Glenn Hughes'.

This is all there if you use the search function.

10. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Thats not what I was thinking of when I said Alembic.

11. Bigjohn

Bigjohn

Mar 5, 2010
    He used quite a few basses in the 70's.
    The first 2 albums were p-bass, then he used a clear plastic body Ampeg Dan Armstrong, at Cal Jam in 1974 he had that white one with the "Cocaine" sticker, when I saw Sabbath in 1978 he used a Rickenbacker 4001. I believe he used others also.

12. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I think he is playing Laklands now.

13. DynaFlow

DynaFlow

Mar 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I love Geezer's playing throughout his career, but to me the tone he got with the P on the first two Sabbath albums remains unequaled.

14. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I'm most fond of his tone on the first three albums - Black Sabbath, Paranoid, and Master Of Reality. Among these three, his tone gets progressively better, and even downright nasty on "Lord Of This World" and "Into The Void". I wish I had that tone in a pedal!

15. Classickbass

Classickbass

Aug 15, 2010
    Kingston, TN
    You just named my two favorite Sabbath songs. Lord Of This World has got to be thee most underrated Sabbath song ever.

16. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    The Alembic looking bass he rocked out at one point was a Jaydee. It was (re)finished with black and white stripes but seems to cop the Alembic body shape.

I was chatting via youtube, then later email with a guy who now owns Geezer's first ever Precision bass. He sent me some photos. Geezer's Sunburst P (as seen in the "Paris" Belgium concert footage) was his 2nd. I heard customs chopped that bass up. His first was knackered P bass that was refinished with fence paint. You can see it on the first Beatclub promos of Blue Suade Shoes and Black Sabbath. He used that on the first album and his roadie sold it to the guy I was talking to, who since had it professionally refinished.

17. AcidFripp

AcidFripp

Jul 12, 2010
    In my opinion he had the best tone on Master of Reality. Damn, it's the PERFECT doom metal tone for that style and setup!

18. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Listen to his tone on the Heaven and Hell cd. The Lakland kicks ass!

19. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    IMO, the Live at Radio City Music Hall is just about the best he's had. That sort of heavy grind on the first few Sabbath albums would have been earth-shattering.

20. I actually really don't like the way anything, including the bass, sounds on Paranoid. In contrast, to my ears, Master of Reality is perfect.