1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

General info. please help.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by poolplayer009, Mar 30, 2009.

1. poolplayer009

poolplayer009

Mar 30, 2009
    okay i am 15 years old recently picked up playing bass. i help my fater build high end custom pool cues. i am just wanting to know what equipment would i need to build a bassic bass i have mill wood lathe metal lathe cnc machine ect. ect. please respond with any info you can give me thanks.

Chris

2. Armacielli

Armacielli

Oct 16, 2008
    unfortunately, as much as I like my lathe, too. It isn't as much use as would be a good bandsaw and a router. With the right skills a heavy bandsaw, a router, and a drill press could do the whole job. I'm not as well versed with CNC as are some other guys around here but from the little that I think I know, if programed correctly a CNC machine could do a large portion of the job, however I revert my judgement on this subject to someone more knowledgeable

3. Hi Chris,

There is too much information that you would need, that we can't share it here.

A few resources I would suggest, however...

projectguitar.com dedicated to building guitars of all types.
    stewmac.com they have a lot of books on building all sorts of guitars.
    warmoth.com they all the parts you could ever need, and they even have dimensions for some of them. More importantly, you can get a look at various body shapes that might strike your fancy.

Personally, you access to some neat tools. With some planning & help from dad, you can build a pretty killer bass. Please remember to take lots of pix.

Take care,

edg

Beyond that... You have to decide on the end result before you start in on the wood. But then, you know that.

4. ljzimmer

ljzimmer

Oct 24, 2007
    One thing that I think has been mentioned here before (in other threads) is that the programming CNC for a bass could take a bunch of time and effort. I would imagine (and I could be completely wrong) that you have a template for the cues that you build. Most likely that template has taken some time to be refined and perfected. I would take that into consideration before building.

I know that I have really enjoyed building, but I also know that I have comfort in the fact that I am in complete control of the tools I am using and I can pull them away at any time. With a CNC all it would take is one bad line of code and a really expensive piece of wood could be ruined.

I'm not trying to discourage you because the CNC could be an extremely helpful tool, but a lot of thought and preparation will need to go into what you build. No matter what I would do a couple of test runs with scrap before trying to make the actual parts, especially if the wood is at all expensive!

Good luck! Let us know what you decide and don't hesitate to ask a bunch of questions. The folks around here are great help.

5. poolplayer009

poolplayer009

Mar 30, 2009
    thank you for all of your reponses. im going to read up on different technique's and possibly puchasing a kit just to see how it all comes together. Whether its junk or not i will definetly post all my projects on here. i guess i already have a name from my dads cues as well.

Chris

6. ljzimmer

ljzimmer

Oct 24, 2007
    With some of the skills you have from helping your father, I think you will be suprised at what you can accomplish. You might check out http://buildyourguitar.com/ I read one of his books, and it was extremely helpful. It also helped me to realize what I was capable of.

Anyway Good luck, and please keep us posted!

7. This guys book's my no 1 resource, together with tb of course :D