1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genius level art performance(s) - updated

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SolarMan, Feb 23, 2013.

1. I think most of you will like this:

It is a 9:44 video, so if you don't want to waste more than 3 minutes or so of your life, start at 6:18

2. Here, try this one instead:

:meh:

3. Reggie is interesting. I should seek out more.

4. I'll give you a shortcut:

The entire thing is beautiful - but short cut to music is:

@ 6:30 - he creates a hip-hop tune that starts off cliche - but even if you aren't a fan of the genre, I think that by the end you will be impressed

@ 13:30 - he goes into the (typical) beat box start and then creates this amazing Afro-Reggae Poly-Rhythm vibe

(yes; he is an actor - but the music inside of him is astounding)

5. Ummm, genius level art? Really? I know there are prodigies and stuff in all artistic disciplines, but can we even talk about genius in art, when it is supposed to be all about expression, emotion and subjectivity? "Genius" implies some form of comparison, and frankly I can't think of anything harder in any art than comparing between two "pieces" (be them two paintings or two songs) in a truly objective sense.

Obviously, some "pieces" are much better executed and complex than others, but to each their own, no?

Regarding the video: The man has some serious groove going on (not to mention a bigger-than-thou hairdo), has some pretty good DJ skills, and his performance is entertaining, but why is it genius according to you, OP?

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I've really enjoyed all of the TED clips I've viewed on Netflix, and the music category aside, there's a wealth of fantastic ideas all over these conferences.

7. I loved Maktub. I wish he would smoke less weed and spend more time singing.

8. (the mostly improvised part is the biggest clue - he isn't all rehearsed out.)

(I guess you could argue with GQ mag...but are you going to argue with Brian Eno?)

Look, I could go on and on but why?

What is the definition of a genius anyway? If it is a mark on the old IQ test, he easily hits that.

And, I came to that conclusion on my own.

My little google search this morning confirms that he is in fact considered a geinus by many. (including the Huffington Post! LOL!)

I think he is a genius because he operates on a much higher level than the average human.

And, the fact that most humans don't "get it" really drives the point home for me.

Platatudes go out the window with this dude and I, for one, am in awe.

[I can understand how the term "Genius" doesn't apply to art like it does to Physics. I mean, some people (not mentioning any names!) considered Yoko Ono to be a genius.]

When you can do a Hip Hop song and sing "Keep Your Hands Exactly Where They Are" - instead of "Throw Your Hands Up In The Air" - yeah...he is a genius.

:cool:

[all IMHO of course.]

9. ☼

10. Touché. :D