1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz 212T - Uber or NeoX series?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tcydennis, Jan 4, 2012.

1. tcydennis

tcydennis

Jun 27, 2007
    I am helping our church to source for a new amp and cab. We have tried the Genz Benz Streamliner 900/ Shuttle 9.0 into the Uber 212T. Unfortunately our local store does not have stock of the NeoX 212T for comparison before making a decision (though they could bring in if we want).

Just wanted to hear your opinions on the comparison / preference between the 2 cabinet series? Which should we go for?

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    IMHO the 212T is tighter, wider and more modern sounding. Very tight defined low end on it.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Ubers are less modern sounding, but still tight down low.

4. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

The Uber is less scooped, in other words.

5. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Both are excellent choices. I personally like the 212T

6. tcydennis

tcydennis

Jun 27, 2007
    thks. you mean you prefer the Uber 212T or Neo X 212T?

7. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    My preference skews towards the 212T

8. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I have two of the 212Ts. They really are amazing cabs imo. Even though I've always had a jones for the uber, I used mesa powerhouse 4x10s for my big gigs and either one or two 212t's for my smaller gigs. the uber would kind of overlap the mesas' functionality for me. so the 212t is where it's at! ymmv

9. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    NeoX 212T. One of my all time favorites.

10. Alphaman

Alphaman Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    STL
    NeoX212 is one of my favorites! I had the Uber212 and an Uber410 and I just can't get with the sound of the Uber cabs at all. They have a mid-honk that just kills it for me. They seem like they'd be great for rock but I don't think they're nearly as versatile as the NeoX212 cabs.

11. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    the neox212t would be better for stacking? since the drivers are vertical? but its only available in 4 ohms. a while back I wanted to get 2 2x12 cabs for vertical stacking, but ended up with a TB153.

12. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Shoot. Use them side by side. Also. I would NEVER buy an amp that is not stable at 2 ohms. That's just me. Try GB amps.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yes, vertical is where it's at for stacking/dispersion. The NeoX is one of the only 212's out there that's put together right.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Just checking here, guys: would any of you that have gigged with the Neox-212T describe them as scooped-sounding?

I've read probably most of the posts on talkbass referring to the Neox-212T and don't remember anyone calling them scooped-sounding.

To the OP's point, I'd recommend the ShuttleMax 9.2 (one of the most versatile heads on the planet) and a pair of Neox-112T (vertically stacked) -- better low end, low mids, and with the SMax 9.2, still tight overall.

15. I am a proud owner of a Neox-212T, and I've used it with a variety of heads and basses (amps: Marshall MB hybrid head, VB-2 all tube, and Markbass LMK; basses: Jazz and P basses, and an EUB). This cab produced exactly the sound I was looking for. The lows are fat and thick and the top end has just enough of that sparkle, and the mids seemed like the glue that held it all together.

:bag:

Cheesy, I know. However, this cab is the perfect one for me. If I had the cash, I'd pick up another one (or its smaller 210T sibling) in a heartbeat.

16. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    No, it's not scooped at all. It has a bit of upper-mid emphasis actually. I think what most people hear isn't a scoop in the mids, but rather a bit of a dip where the paper cones leave off and the crossover into the tweeter begins. Generally speaking, 12" drivers don't really carry that "low-treble" in the cones as well as 10" drivers, but that's what makes many folks love the sound of 2x12 cabinets. They tend to feel a little bit more pillowy and round down bottom, instead of so punchy and aggressive.

The Neox 212 is still one of my favorite cabinets. I used one for several years and it never let me down. It's capable of plenty of volume and is never muddy or boomy. Plenty of bass, and it'll take a lot of EQ if you want to add more. Powered by 500-1000 watt head, it will absolutely slam.

17. pengyou40

pengyou40

Dec 2, 2010
    How did you like the neox-212t with the vb-2 ? I have the vb-2, but my cab is a Carvin 115 and the low end just sounds pillowy and boomy...not what I want at all.