1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz 410T XB2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Murph_Orpheus, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Howdy folks. Anyone have any experience with this cab? Did a search on it but couldn't find much. Would love to hear some opinions on it :)

2. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    we discontinued this cab a couple of years ago. What type of info are you looking for?

3. Is it a bright sounding cab or is it warm and fat? Punchy? Does it handle a low B well? There's a store here in Ireland that's not far from where I live that has the 410T XB2 and the 115T as well so I'd like to go and check them out when I get the time. Just thought I'd post on here for some opinions first. Cheers!

4. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    I've had one for a few months, and I like it. You can find my initial impressions (and a comparison to the 610 model) in a previous post.

I've used it mainly for rehearsals, and as a stage monitor with major PA support, so I can't say how it would do trying to drive a large room all by itself. I'll be using it outdoors this weekend (with no PA support), I'll let you know how it works out.

5. I have owned a pair of similar 210 XB cabinets for a few years. I think the XB2 is higher power rating, but otherwise few differences. I used it with an Ampeg B2RE, Sansamp bass driver, and G&L SB2 for solid, grindy, aggressive P bass tone. They are great cabs, IMO, though the 210 was definitely heavy and large (almost as big as my Peavey 410). They are very well built, and mine have steel tube handles that are some of the best I've ever found.

They didn't seem to have great B string volume, and when I switched to loud, 5 string rock, I upgraded to huge LDS custom cabinet. Otherwise I would still be rocking the Genz Benz cabs and loving them.

Good punch, lots of clarity, well built, but not the right cab for really loud and low stuff.

6. Hmm this part concerns me. I play in a couple of loud bands that use some low tuning. Although if I was to get a pair of them then surely that would make up for it??

@rickdog: Do keep me updated on how the outdoors gig goes. Cheers!

7. adamov

adamov

Jan 29, 2009
    I use a pair of XB-2s with my GBE 1200 or my Shuttle 6.0. with my Sadowsky 5-string. I haven't had a problem at all with how it handles the low B.

8. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Keep in mind that this is me paraphrasing here, but I'm pretty sure that Roger from Genz/Kaman (username Hasbeen) has said before that the XB2 cabs have a lot more low end than a typical Genz cab.

Personally, I used an 8-ohm 410XB with my fiver tuned A-C-G-C-F and never had any problems with volume. That cab was a tank.

9. Thanks for the input guys! Hoping to try out this cab tomorrow, the 115T is also in the shop so I'm going to try that as well and compare both to my GK Neo's which I find to be too bright. Hopefully these Genz cabs will be the answer to the fat and warm low end I'm craving!

10. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    correct. The "XB" stands for "extended bass".

11. So I went and tried the 410T and 115T today and they were incredible! So much low end! But the price is putting me off, the store owner said that even with a trade of my GK Neo 212 and Neo 410 it'd cost me €1000 in the difference for both of the Genz cabs! I'd be getting ripped off surely?? :confused:

12. I love my 610XB2. I play a 5 string in standard C and the cab just rocks. I play in a metal band too

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

G-B is not cheap.

14. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Outdoors gig went well (until I spilled the guitarist's coffee in his amp on the last song).

This is an acoustic flavored trio - acoustic guitarist singing, electronic piano, and fretless bass. The PA was for the vocals, guitar, and piano, bass was just my amp.

The SVT-3PRO can put 450 watts into my 4 ohm 410 XB2, and I really couldn't turn it up too much or the other guys would not have liked it :eek: It carried well, and sounded like bass in the mix (at least out to the limit of my 25' cable). Of course, 4 10s just can't shove a lot of air, so the bottom end dissipated quickly outdoors (it was killer up close). If you want the audience to feel (not just hear) the bass outdoors, you need subwoofers and kilowatts, no way around it.

Bottom line: worked great for this gig, probably would have been fine with a rock band with small PA. Of course it's a great stage monitor when there's a big PA. It can keep up with the drummer I play with in another band, and he plays like he means it.

I'm not sure exactly what the €/$ exchange rate is these days, and I don't know how much the GB speakers would cost new where you are, but that doesn't sound like a really good deal. I picked up my 410 XB2 for $500 slightly used, and could have had the 610 instead (which made the strong low end of the 410 sound weak) for maybe $750 new. I went for something I could load in my truck by myself, though ;)

15. Keep in mind that I was using (one or two) 210 XB cabs. It definitely had "extended bass" for a 210 cabinet - it clearly outperforms many 410 cabinets.

I also play loud rock with lots of B string, and that's what prompted me to upgrade. The 410 XB2 might be good - no personal experience here. I went with a LDS 1212/6/1.