1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 making weird noise...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mirthoneist, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Mirthoneist

Mirthoneist

Jul 28, 2006
    Hi all,

I got a Genz Benz shuttle about 2 weeks ago and after a few minutes or so it'll make a certain sound that I don't think is normal. It sounds a little like the static sound from older TVs when a channel is not available. I've uploaded a 10 second clip to this post of the sound.

The noise comes and goes as it pleases. It'll happen with whether or not there is anything in the input jack. I've tried two different cabs and two different Speakon cables (one I just got the other day), so I'm about 100% sure it's the head.

Any thoughts on what it might be? I'd feel weird to pay as much as I did for it if this is normal. I bought it new online from an authorized dealer so I'll get with them first and see what to do, but I'd like to know what actually is wrong first. I'm an amateur bassist and am not very familiar with the electronics portion. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Sounds like a bad preamp tube, yes even new tubes can go bad or tube was loosened in shipping and needs to be seated. It is not normal and GenzBenz will take care of you but most likely the dealer will. PM agredhorse here on TB if you have any problems.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Yes, it sounds like the preamp tube. Try pulling it out and re-seating it. Sometimes it takes a few times doing this to get it to work. My NeoPak had this problem and after pulling the preamp tube a few times, the bad sound went away.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    A couple of troubleshooting questions to narrow this down...

1. If the noise goes away with the channel volume (not the master volume) turned down, it's most likely a tube (or the tube is not fully seated)

2. If the noise remains with the channel volume down, does the noise go away when the master volume is turned down? This couold indicate a couple of other possibilities.

5. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    Missouri
    Have the same issue with a 9.0 that GB said was from a poor ribbon cable connection. Just for kicks try to lift the front if unit several inches and let it drop. when I get home I will post GB's response via email on my static question. I need to take it in for warranty repair but can't be down 2 weeks.

6. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    Missouri
    Found it on my phone...

Hello Vernon,

Good to hear from you and thanks for gigging with GB gear!

I think your issue may be a simple fix and if you have soldering experience to the PCB level, you could probably address this or certainly a Warranty Center like Logic Systems could do it.

This may be an issue with the headers on a gray wiring harness right behind the Master Volume pot.

If you remove the headers and hard wire the harness directly to the PCB that just may correct this issue.

This sounds like an intermittent crimp connection on this harness.

I hope this information is helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Genzler
    GENZ BENZ
    Founder
    jeff.genzler@kmcmusic.com

7. Mirthoneist

Mirthoneist

Jul 28, 2006
    Thanks for the responses all!

It does sound like it's the tube, then. Agedhorse, the noise does go away with the channel volume all the way down while keeping the Master volume in the same position. (I have everything else at 12 o'clock for now).

Thank you also vernhill for scouring up that email. Since it occurs after a certain amount of time and not with any movement I don't think it'd be a ribbon cable issue. But thanks again!

I emailed the seller but they won't be back until Tuesday so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they say. I'd rather they replace it with another new one than have a Service place open it up.

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    There is no master volume harness on the 9.2 so I'm positive that's not a possibility.

9. Mirthoneist

Mirthoneist

Jul 28, 2006
    So I sent my unit back to the seller and they sent me a replacement as they said they would. I received it today.

...and it's even worse than the original unit. As soon as I turn it on it is making a clicking/clacking noise, it sounds like the fan blades hitting something. Also, it came with a ShuttleMAX 9.2 manual and no warranty card, and the mid-scoop icon is like, partly blacked out. If their serial numbers go in numerical order, than this "new" one is an incredibly older one. I'm wondering if this is a refurbished unit or something....

I'm so disappointed right now... if I can't get a new unit to work without issues, I'm terrified of the reliability within a couple of years. I emailed the seller back to see what is up but I feel so darn beat... :(

Edit: Uploaded attachment of the noise for reference. Turning it on, then turning it off.

Attached Files:

10. It is really rare to get even one defective unit from Genz-Benz, two???? Andy, take your BP meds (agedhorse looks at G-B stuff as his children). Don't lose faith, this is extremely rare indeed.

11. I don't know if this helps, but something doesn't sound right with what you've been getting from this seller... If you can return it and get a refund, I would and look elsewhere...
    2 for 2 seems high :(
    You don't want to be paranoid about your new amp...

12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Receiving 2 defective amps is very unlikely indeed. I don't know anything about the history of your amps so I can't even guess.

I am always available to handle warranty repairs if that helps.

Regarding serial numbers, there are date and location codes in those numbers as well, therefore they may not appear to be as sequential as you might think.

13. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Mirthoneist, the fans on my new 12.2 sounded kind of loud when I first used it (not as loud seemingly as your sound clip). Playing the other night, the fans seemed much quieter. Either I am getting used to it or they are breaking in and running quieter. I'm voting on the latter in my case.

Can you shine a flashlight in the fan port when starting up? Maybe the blades are hitting an internal wire?

Good luck with this,
    =wr=

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Every once in a while a bit of packing debris can find its way inside the fan vent causing noises. Certainly worth a look.

15. To the OP, any news buddy ?

16. swedbass

swedbass Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Los Angeles CA
    F Bass Artist
    I had the exact same noise. I swapped the preamp tube and the problem went away.