1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    OK so I have a taken a look see at this new little baby and it has my interest peaked.

Quoted from FB

Introducing the 2nd Generation of our Popular High-Powered SHUTTLE® and SHUTTLE®MAX Amplifier Designs

New 3DPM™ Circuitry for Increased Headroom and “Bigger” Output

Our Proprietary 3DPM™ Also Provides More Heft and Girth to the Individual Bass Notes
    More, Available Tube Gain for Improved Tonal Versatility (STL9.2)

Enhanced Cosmetics

So what is the "More Axailable Tube Gain"? Hotter signal/more db?

I did not see the "enhanced cosmetics" on the 9.2. Is that just on the 12.2?

2. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    BTW not talking about the Max 9.2.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    There is more gain available in the last 20% of the gain control rotation.

Different color anodized panel, knob refinements, slight silk screen refinements, etc.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    If I set both the Preamp Levels at noon they would be the same as the original Shuttle 9.0?

Pic?

5. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Absolutely LOVING my MAX 9.2 amp... Its loud enough to do a large gig yet light enough to do a coffee house without too much schlepping.. But the new GB Contour Combo has my eye for any small gigs.. I have not had or used a combo in YEARS.. but this one looks promising...

6. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    These guys are always coming up with cool gear.

Now back to the Shuttle 9.2

Here is the Pic from facebook but I cannot see any difference in look. Not that it looks bad to start with.

Shuttle92.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Here is the 9.0.

Shuttle90-1.

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Well, right of the bat, the 9.2 has lines on the knobs, instead of the dots. The Master section of the 9.2 has " Peak " at the top, the 9.0 has " limit ".

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

FYI, the changes to the 9.2 from the 9 are pretty subtle.... a touch different voicing of the voicing buttons, a touch more gain capability with the gain control for overdriving, and the updated power management.

IMO, there would be little reason for an owner of the 9.0 to upgrade to the 9.2. Just a nice subtle upgrade.

The Shuttle 12 is a similar subtle upgrade to the 12.2, and the look has changed to match the format of the Max 9.2 and Shuttle 9.2

The big change is the 6.2, which has a different look, and quite a different low end voicing, making it more like a lower powered Shuttle 9.2 versus the quite different sounding 6 versus 9. (edit: The Shuttle cabs have been beefed up also.... much more booty than the originals, and a nice new look to match the new 6.2 graphics and color).

So, for the 9 and 12 series, just a nice subtle update for potential new buyers, without in any way making the Max 12 or the Shuttle 9 obsolete.

The Streamliners and Max 9.2 remain the same. I believe the Shuttle 3 remains in the product line unchaged. The Max 6 is discontinued.

FYI.

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    This is correct.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    So like everyone else you were talking about the whole line. I was just talking about the Shuttle 9.2. So no different color anodized panel.

Yeah I caught the subtle differences I was trying to see the color difference. Hard to see it when it ain't there. :D

12. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I agree with Ken. No reason to chunk your 9.0 and get a 9.2.

Though perhaps a reason to get a second if you want two. :D

13. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Don't forget the Chrome Fan Guard on the .2 version

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Correct, specifically with the Shuttle 9.2. Each model got little upgrades, some cosmetic, some performance, some just small internal things. I agree, it's hard to generalize where changes are not identically implimented because some later models like the Shuttle 9.0 already received the different faceplate versus the 6.0 for example. My appologies.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    On another note. Where do you guys buy those knobs. I need to be making them that is what I do. I have some Swiss Machines that are begging to make something like that.

16. carbonfold

carbonfold Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    I've heard what the upgrades are to the 9.2 but has anyone put a ear on it yet? I loved the 9.0 but wished it was a bit more tubey. Would we say the 9.2 is closer to this?

17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

If you want more tubey, the Streamliner is for you. The key difference between the Shuttle 9 and 9.2 is the new power management which gives it a bit more kick down low when pushed, a slight revoicing of the voicing buttons, and a different gain taper that allows you to push the tube pre into all out distortion if that is your thing.

The basic tone of the amp is the same.

18. carbonfold

carbonfold Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    I really liked the 9.0 when I had it but I either was running the Fuzzrocious Dark Driving or Durham Sex Drive all the time to get where I wanted to go.

My fear with the Streamliner is that I may lose that punch and cut I had from the 9.0 I got praised for. The only think I fought with the 9.0 is to give it more tube edge.

19. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    On the 9.0, I was hitting the Limit light in the " Master Section " quite a bit, at what I would call reasonable volume, especially popping the G string, and hitting the low F on my E string. I wonder if the new power management system alleviates this ?

20. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That light coming on only indicates that the power management system is engaged, and does not indicate clipping or hard limiting. Zero issue. I assume you didn't hear any compression of noticable change in performance when the power management light came on. Very different system than the more 'hard limiting' of the Markbass heads, Thunderfunk, etc.

That being said, I've yet to hit the limiting on my Streamliner or Max 9.2, at the loudest volumes I would ever play (Edit: actually did hit the limiting circuit briefly when cranking the Streamliner into an 8ohm 15/6 in a volume comparison with the Mesa M6... it kept up quite well).

I do have relatively controlled technique though, and I'm sure if I really hit the strings HARD I could probably pop some peaks in there that would result in limiting.