1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

George Martin RIP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassinplace, Mar 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Sad news indeed, Beatle People.

Rip Van Dan, nixdad and Tanner5382 like this.
  2. southpaw723

southpaw723

Oct 20, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    What a legend, there will never be another one quite like him.

3. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    As I am a hack producer with a small studio, Martin was one of my heroes. He could do more with four tracks than the rest of the world can now accomplish with four billion. RIP.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    fify

Every record producer in the world right now is staring deep into their own souls and wondering "What would I be doing now if George Martin hadn't been doing what he did then?"

pcake, JimK, jim nolte and 6 others like this.
  5. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

Oct 11, 2012
    Katy TX
    It's a ad day for music indeed, that been said if I can make it to 90 and make 0.1% of the awesome music he produced I'll die a very happy man.

GregC and nixdad like this.
  6. Clarence Walker

Clarence Walker Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Baltimore, Md
    Helped change the sound of popular music.

Rip Van Dan, howlin and nixdad like this.
  7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    RIP, Sir.

JimK, nixdad and Tanner5382 like this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Certainly a bad year so far losing so many greats in the music world.

maggsybass, Ikkir, SirMjac28 and 2 others like this.
  9. fat4

fat4

May 13, 2009
    Right coast Canada
    Thank you George. God Bless

Rip Van Dan, JimK, GregC and 3 others like this.
  10. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Another sad day for rock but even more so for us Beatle fans. RIP Sir George

11. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    He was a hero of mine as well, but I wouldn't call him a hack. He was actually producing classical music when he met the Beatles. I don't recall who brought them to his attention, but he was not even a fan of popular music. Notice the string arrangement in Eleanor Rigby. That would be his influence. He helped them expand their musical horizons. He was also responsible for ousting Pete Best.
    I have always thought George Martin made the Beatles. Not that they weren't talented, but he was a big influence on them and their success. I doubt you mean any disrespect, but hack isn't an appropriate title for him.
    Central Texas? Austin? I'm in Fort Worth. My son lives in Austin. I'm down that way a lot.

12. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    No, no.....*I* am a hack. George Martin is perhaps the pinnacle of the profession. I will edit my post to clarify.

Ikkir, nixdad and SirMjac28 like this.
  13. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Oh, okay. Could be my reading comprehension.

JimK likes this.
  14. I saw the name of the thread and I though you meant George R. R. Martin, in which case there are a lot of GOT fans that would be pissed he didn't finish Winds of Winter.

15. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

In his own not so small way, he helped change the world. There was a great documentary on him a few years back, I'm sure PBS will dig it out and show it again.

nixdad likes this.
  16. Mr. Martin was an important piece of the Beatles' success and a masterful producer. I do take issue with some of the tributes going around the web today that essentially claim he "made" the Beatles. He and Brian Epstein were immensely helpful, but the Fabs themselves were the ones who made the Beatles.

17. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I see your point, but I don't agree they could have done it on their own. It was a team effort.

Ikkir and Aberdumbie like this.
  18. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Agreed.... But it was the early sixties. George & Brian made the boys "presentable" as it were to the worldwide audience that they would soon dominate. Yes it was a full team effort to be sure but it is far too easy to vastly underestimate Sir George's impact on the boys success.

19. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    RIP to a brilliant musical mind.

nixdad and jaypee like this.