1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Germanium 4 big muff pi

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HarleyD, Aug 22, 2012.

1. HarleyD

HarleyD

May 8, 2011
    I just purchsed a Germanium 4 big muff pi pedal and I dont think its made for bass, can someone please help me?

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    What problem are you experiencing exactly?

3. HarleyD

HarleyD

May 8, 2011
    Its not the bass pedal, I thought oh yeah cool overdrive and distortion...but i should have bought the green pedal

4. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Ok start like this... on the Overdrive side, get the Tone fully counterclockwise (all the way to the bass), the Bias fully counterclockwise, and the Gain somewhere between 12:00 (straight up) and fully clockwise. You're looking for a mild, growly overdrive on this side...Slowly bring the Bias knob up as you're playing until you get the desired amount of "bite" in the sound. If you need to add some treble, go ahead and bring the Tone knob up, but I never had mine higher than 9:00.

On the Distortion side, you've got no Tone but that shouldn't be a problem. Make sure your Voltage control is fully clockwise, and the Bias somewhere between 11:00 and 2:00. You can dial it around a bit to hear where sounds best.

These are starting positions - what worked for me. Go ahead and experiment from there.

Also, I *did* have some success with having both channels on, but honestly I had better luck with the Distortion side on it's own. And the footswitches are close enough you can hit both of them at once if you want to do a fast change of tones.

5. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Yes it's not a bass pedal. It sounds very cool but it chops the low frequencies very significantly. If you want a pedal that kind of does the same thing but retains the bass, I would recommend the EH Germanium OD. The pedal is not plug and play but if you take the time to experiment with it, it sounds great and it's inexpensive.