1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting a new Amp for home, small gigs and recording

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GDalbosco, Apr 12, 2018.

1. GDalbosco

GDalbosco

Feb 18, 2017
    Chile
    I was looking for an amp for home practice, small gigs and recording with an audio interface.

First I looked to Ampeg Micro VR Head (200watts RMS @ 4 ohms) and the SVT210AV CABINET (200watts RMS @ 8 ohms)
    upload_2018-4-12_16-57-15.

But now someone offer me an Ashdown ABM 600 RC EVO IV (600watts RMS, minimun @ 4 ohms) with a very similar price than micro vr head.
    upload_2018-4-12_16-58-3.

These are the outputs:
    upload_2018-4-12_16-50-36.

First I am looking for an amp only for home practice and recording, but the price is very attractive for the ABM 600.

Now I am confusing.

What do you recommend?

If I go for the ABM 600, I need a big cab or can be a smaller one, like like Ashdown ABM-115H (300watts @ 8 ohms)? or the VT210AV CABINET (200watts RMS @ 8 ohms)?
    Can I connect only the head to the audio interface or must be connected to speakers?

I don't know to much about power and ohms rules, I don't want to damage something.

Attached Files:

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    You can use any size cab. Just keep the volume down.

You can Use the DI out or effects send for recording, depending on interface.

GDalbosco likes this.
  3. GDalbosco

GDalbosco

Feb 18, 2017
    Chile
    I use a focusrite 2i4.

tks.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  4. Find the Ashdown web site and see if you can download a manual for this amp.
    Most manufacturers are pretty good about giving examples of cabinet impedance (Ohms) combinations you can use with each amp.

And as said before, it's OK to use a smaller (power rated) cab as long as you don't turn up too much.
    Listen for strange noises that shouldn't be there. We often describe it as the speaker is "farting out."
    So that's kind of the sound. If you hear that, you need to back off with the volume.

GDalbosco likes this.
  5. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    I have 2 of the Micro-VR/SVT210AV stacks each with 2 cabs. They work and sound great.

When recording, if you are going to mic a cab, be aware that the Micro-VR head has a loud fan.

For what you want to do, a PF-350 with 1 or 2 210AV cabs would be nearly perfect.

G On Bass, Engle and GDalbosco like this.
  6. GDalbosco

GDalbosco

Feb 18, 2017
    Chile
    Tks great advices.

Also, about heads, Can I use only the DI output to a PA or an audio interface without using the speakers output? Or this can damage the head?

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Keeping the 100hz down and the sub-harmonic feature off will also reduce chances of damaging a small cab.

More info: ABM-600-EVO IV Head

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    GDalbosco likes this.
  8. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I have an Ashdown Mag 300 and have used the DI only (no speaker) into my interface with no problems.
    f

Dasgre0g and GDalbosco like this.
  9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... I was not impressed by the DI built into the PF-350, I returned a new unit because of it ... just something to be aware of and try for yourself if this is important to your recording with it ... the one I had may have had an issue, I never tried a second to find out ...

GDalbosco likes this.
  10. BassikBrad

BassikBrad Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    If the price is good , go for it, Ashdown has a nice character to its sound.

GDalbosco likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sure you can. The only ones you need to worry about are heads with tube power sections. But stuff like the Micro VR and Ashdown head you're looking at? Sure.

GDalbosco and Stumbo like this.
  12. GDalbosco

GDalbosco

Feb 18, 2017
    Chile
    I got the ashdown! price was really good. Tks all for your help.

Dasgre0g likes this.
  13. May I suggest Bergantino forte’ with HDN 1-12?

Small but mighty and DI out for studio use. Hi Fi tone / transparent -clarity

Ultra light powerhouse rig

GDalbosco likes this.
  14. Dasgre0g

Dasgre0g The Jaguar Whisperer Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Austin
    Excellent choice. Awesome thing about that amplifier is it really puts out massive professional sounding power if you need it, but it does not weigh a ridiculous amount. So you were always capable of using it up smaller situations.

GDalbosco likes this.
  15. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    I would go for the Ampeg B15..great for at home..live..the best there is for recording..and no fan for added noise..

GDalbosco and JimmyM like this.
  16. GDalbosco

GDalbosco

Feb 18, 2017
    Chile
    I like ampeg a lot. I was looking for a made in usa here, but the one that I saw was sold very fast.

Now I am very happy with ashdown ABM amp and ABM cabs. Great sound, and versatile for different styles, but specially very good for different rock styles.
    The fan noise IMO is something you get used to, and the level is not too much too bother you while you play. For me is almost imperceptible.