1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JJT247, Apr 6, 2009.

1. JJT247

JJT247

Jan 24, 2009
    I play in a band that plays hard rock and progressive metal. Since im only 13, i dont want to spend more then 1000 dollars on a new bass because that's what i have with my saved money.
    Since i'm small for a 13 year old, i would like a bass with a fast neck. So far ive been looking at the Sterling ray35 or a G&L tribute 2500. I play bass 4 or 5 hours a day so I would like a quality bass.
    Thanks for the help!:bassist:

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Wow, 1000 bones for a 13 year old is great. I say go used.

Used Peavey Cirrus.
    Used MIA Jazz.

Used G&Ls come up often enough in the Classifieds.

3. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
  4. JJT247

JJT247

Jan 24, 2009
  5. Good deal with G&L! :bassist:

6. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Youre very welcome. And that bass isnt something you will see very often. Silver sparkle is a rare things, IIRC.

Good luck though! If al else fails, you could get a Geddy. Man, I love my Geddy.

EDIT: Sorry JJ, that bass is gone and in France now. I didnt read the entire post. Sorry my friend. Ill keep my eyes on anything that looks like something that would interest you. PM me if needed.

7. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
  8. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Guys, I just PM'd him with a ton of options.

Hopefully he wasnt too excited about that specific sale. I think the ones I PM'd him will make up for it.

Im always down for helping a fellow teenager. I know what its like to be lost in the bass world. But never again, thanks to TB.

9. JJT247

JJT247

Jan 24, 2009
    lol its ok there are plenty of other basses out there :)

And thanks so much for taking the time to PM me all of those basses, I will surely look into all of them.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

My advice: you have a lot to spend. A quality bass doesn't have to cost $1000 or more. Quality is something that sounds good to YOU, feels good to play, and is dependable...whether it costs $199 or $999.

Go used, and consider going short scale if you're still small - you can add a long scale in a couple of years. Try out different basses. You might even consider a Gretsch Electromatic Jr Jet in short scale.

11. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Ah, finally some backup. I have been alone in this thread.

12. BlackEdition

BlackEdition

Mar 30, 2009
  13. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I agree. Ibbys practically own the thin neck franchise.