Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting back into playing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fcSR5k5, Nov 9, 2003.

1. fcSR5k5

fcSR5k5

Jul 8, 2003
    i played for probably 5 years, and then i started college and didnt even touch my axe for 3 years. but now that i have time to play, i cant remember a damn thing. i lost all my sheet mucic, all my notes, everything. so could you guys tell me what books are out there that would help me reteach myself basically everything for a 5 string. and also, i own a ibanez sr5005, but what are some really dope companies out there, i cant remember any. thanx guys. grant,co

2. Welcome to the world of bass.

Hey, I would suggest getting yourself a good teacher. This can help you to develope good habits, as you are relearning to play/read.

Talkbass has a couple of instruction sights and a few pro's that will be willing to help you on your quest!

Good Luck!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    I completey agree with Treena. I quit playing for 17 years and just started again. Literally forgot everything I ever knew. Ironically I see this as a godsend since now I realize just how many habits I had. Taking lessons is a good thing, but if you are financially tapped (which I sense you are since you just got out of college) it can be awfully expensive also. There are a ton of Video lessons that will help you relearn your instrument at a fraction of the cost. Best source I found was at musicians friend, check it out, they have the broadest video selction of any store.

Good Luck :)

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You're going to GI!

5. flash41

flash41 Lost bassist returns.

I smiled when I read fcSR5k5's post about not playing for 3 years. After playing through of much of high school, I too stopped not long after going away to college. I literally didn't touch a bass for 29 years, until I started playing again in March 2003. I couldn't remember a thing (including what notes to tune the strings to!), but once I started playing with other people (including a drummer and a guitarist), it started coming back. Which was good, since I was scheduled for a church gig in 5 weeks from the day I picked up my old equipment. Now I'm playing all the time.

My suggestion is to find, if possible, some non-judgemental musician friends (especially a drummer) to jam with. Also, play along with some CDs. And just play and play as much as you can. I probably am playing 10-15 hr/week along with people and CDs (not counting my regular church gig and practice). Don't worry how good you are initially. If you play a lot and enjoy yourself, you'll get better real fast. I was amazed how quickly stuff came back. I know there are still some positions, etc. that I don't remember, and my fingers are older and stiffer than they were, but I can still play a mean bassline when the eyes roll back in my head and sweat starts pouring down my brow!

Now I'm going back and working on some theory.

Have fun! That's the point, isn't it?

Gordon

6. fcSR5k5

fcSR5k5

Jul 8, 2003
    thanx guys. the other day i went to the mall and bought 6 new cds that i had lost over the years. my forearms and fingers are killin me. im so excited that im playing again. i cant wait till i get good again. i am totally out of the loop. what are some good sites to go to like this. and what are some tight brands of new compnies that have come out over the last few years. i will try to get a hold og my brithers diggy cam and ill post some pics of my axe. alrighty, well im sure ill talk to you all again sometime. see ya
    grant
    oh yeah, where do all of you live. im in fort collins, co

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I did the same, didnt play for 3 or 4 years.. well I played in my bedroom every now and then, but I didnt play in any bands or gig.

My advice would be to get into a band as soon as possible. It'll all come flooding back I assure you... even teh bad stuff, band politics etc ;)

Enjoy !

8. Thx for the post guys.

I'm another member of the returning to bass club. I sold my bass when I got married and now at 31 (after finishing school) I just bought a new 5-string and have started playing again.

My advice is peruse the boards here at TB and use the search feature. I have learned more about set-up, amps, and music theory from reading here on TB than I ever knew before.

Oh yeah, and play until your fingers hurt:D