1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting bottom end out of P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by reptocarl, Oct 26, 2018.

1. reptocarl

reptocarl

Nov 3, 2017
    Hello all, I read an interesting interview with the late great John Entwistle. He stated and I quote “with a Fender you get a lot of treble but no bass and with a Gibson you get a lot of bass but no treble” which is why he went to Alembic at the time. He felt the Alembic gave him both. I love his sound and was wondering which pickup in a P bass would get semi close to that? Thank you

Squittolo and Ellery like this.
  2. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I have never had trouble getting low end out of any P bass. I believe Entwistle’s comment wasn’t entirely on the mark. I never thought of Entwistle’s tone as having much low end anyway. It did seem to appear that he went to great expense anyway with his bass and rig to produce low end content that no one really heard. Too much low end gets lost in the mix or piles up in corners creating issues.

3. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    No low end out of a P bass?
    1117EDCA-9448-4666-8D70-D965308C1A1F.

928cat, Gluvhand, bassdude51 and 26 others like this.
  4. reptocarl

reptocarl

Nov 3, 2017
    Interesting thank you

Nickweissmusic likes this.
  5. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Entwistle also played in such a way that too much low end would be highly dangerous, actually. His dynamics were crazy, so if he cranked the fundamentals really hard, at some point he'd be blasting people's ears off as well as PA speakers. Solved by a limiter, though. But if he used aggressive limiting, that would easily be set off by tremendous low end. A multiband limiter solves that, tho.

As much as I respect him as a bass player I think he didn't really understand gear whatsoever. Not that he had to, anyhow, he's iconic for reasons other than his gear, which I hope more people would be.

6. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Entwistle had an addictive personality defect that manifested itself in collecting an absurd number of basses, spending an inordinate of money on his rig chasing a mythical tone that couldn’t exist, and snorting copious amounts of cocaine. Compare that to some of his contemporaries like Roger Glover or John Paul Jones who just plugged in and played excellent bass lines.

928cat, Gluvhand, -Asdfgh- and 32 others like this.
  7. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    What amp are you using?

8. reptocarl

reptocarl

Nov 3, 2017
    Don’t laugh but right now a Peavey max II 112

Squittolo and PennyroyalWe like this.
  9. reptocarl

reptocarl

Nov 3, 2017
    Good point

10. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Maybe you need some different amp settings
    Or try some different amps? A P bass generally causes booties to shake

11. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Also please don't try to gauge the low end in your room, it's highly deceptive. Gauge how your amp does in a live environment, when there's also a drummer. Chances are, you really don't want subs most of the time.

This forum's obsession with HPFs isn't unwarranted.

12. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    That is not the exact quote. He was referring to playing large arenas/stadiums in the late 60s and early 70s that if he turned the treble up with a P bass he wouldn't get any low end and out far in the audience the bass have a very "ticky" sound.

The Rage, TalHaz, HawldieMPB and 2 others like this.
  13. I'm not laughing but the amp will make more of a difference than switching pickups out...

MrLenny1, Axstar, Helix and 2 others like this.
  14. And still he was one of the best Bass players to date

15. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Based on my opinion as someone that currently owns several P basses, a Gibson, and an Alembic...

Fact. A P bass is midrangey (not trebley) and a Gibson is bassy. An Alembic doesn't have either problem.

But, John's opinion was based on facts from a long time ago. A P bass isn't lacking in low end potential, and a Gibson doesn't have to have muddy low end. Any of the three can work in pretty much any situation.

Amps and PA's are a lot better than they used to be.

TalHaz, MCF, Rickter and 14 others like this.
  16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Has the OP ever heard a Precision bass, or just read about them?

ProgressiveDoom likes this.
  17. reptocarl

reptocarl

Nov 3, 2017
    A P bass is what I play and what he said kind of threw me. I was finding it hard to disagree with Entwistle but I was

Helix, HawldieMPB and jamro217 like this.
  18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    you might find this interesting

The basic flaw in the p-bass

Lobster11 likes this.
  19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Whenever someone points out that the p-bass is not 100% perfection some people here get threatened

The truth is if you want to get a lot of treble and a lot of bass out of a p-bass it doesn't really co-operate

Also the truth is the p-bass is a low mid focused instrument.

20. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I wouldn't allow any more than curiosity at Entwistle relative to what we do. Just saying.

Ekulati and murphy like this.