1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting control room output same level as main outputs?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jamisonsalamand, Jan 27, 2012.

1. jamisonsalamand

jamisonsalamand

Aug 15, 2008
    I have to take care of some live sound soon, playing prerecorded music. I will be using this mixer, but it only has two main outputs when I need four to connect to the amps. I was planning to use the control room outputs for the third and fourth outputs, because using the alt 3/4 outs mutes the signal from the main mix.
    BEHRINGER: 1204

My question is, when the control room/headphone volume knob is at twelve o'clock, is that equivalent to no boost or cut in the signal? Will it be the same signal(in terms of volume) that is coming from the main outputs?

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Most amplifiers will have an XLR input and an XLR output for daisy-chaining multiple amps so you only need two outputs from the mixer and two cables to daisy chain the amps.

However, you also have 2 Aux outputs that could be used (Aux 1 for Left and Aux 2 for Right, both Post-Fader so that any fader adjustment affects the Main bus and the Aux buses).

You could also use a mic splitter or Y-cable to split the main outputs to multiple amps.

You could also get RCA to 1/4" adapter cables and use the unbalanced tape outputs.

And you could use the control room output but you would have to calibrate the volume by ear compared to the main mix bus (the Main Output bus is slightly hotter than the control room output per the Behringer manual).

3. jamisonsalamand

jamisonsalamand

Aug 15, 2008
    Wouldn't a y cable give less volume? So it would read as 0 on the mixer, but I'd have to push the amps harder to get the same volume as without the cable? That doesn't seem good for the speakers

4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The Y cable is the least preferable of all the scenarios but it's still totally passable. In the case of splitting a mic or instrument level signal a Y cable is not a good idea, but it's not as much of an issue when you're talking about a +4 line level signal. There are still losses, but unless you're planning on pushing this system to its maximum capacity, you'll be fine.

And to take it one step further, you wouldn't need to push the amps harder you would just be increasing the output from your mixer to compensate for the split. As long as your mixer doesn't clip, your amps & speakers won't know the difference.