Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting Depressed again

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Apr 19, 2004.

1. It has been a long time since I felt this depressed, a really long time. Man I don't even know where to start. First off my dad has Prostate cancer, in which he tells me he will be ok with todays treatments, but it is still sad. I asked out my friend, and she said that she doesn't want to date anyone right now, just be friends, and that is cool but for some reason I can't get her out of my head, its driving me crazy. I can't find a job no matter how hard I try, they just aren't out there. There is a bit more but I won't go into that.

What do you guys do when you get depressed? I could smoke pot and drink, but that is just delaying if not worsening the depression. Oh man, I just want to lay in bed all day and not do a damn thing...

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    me too.... but DO NOT DRINK OR SMOKE POT. these are depressants. sure you;ll have fun while ur doing it but MAN does it drop the bottom out of ur depression. thats the only advice i can give....hell if i knew how to cheer you up I'D be cheered up.lol

3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Eric come to NY! We'll cheer you up!

Token

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I remember that I have been depressed before, but it passed.
    I remember that my life doesn't have to be perfect in order fro me to be happy.
    I remember that contentment has more to do with really enjoying the life I'm living than trying to make my life match some picture inside my head.
    I remember that love is an experience you have, not an object you find.

Are you not able to"get her out of your mind" or are you so focused on thinking about a relationship with someone who doesn't want to have a relationship with because it's a way of trying to control the outside world, one that is doing it's damndest to show you that you can't control it?

Do some reading on prostate cancer, there's a really good recovery rate and treatment programs. Spend time with your dad "outside" his disease. You gotta remember, we're all in "terminal stage". Nobody gets out alive. My mom's cancer just made us all realize that what time we had left together was very "focused" and we all tried to make the most of it. But even without this disease, your dad would pass away at some point. Make a point of enjoying each day he is alive, rather than focusing on when he might die.

I remember that the living go on living. My mom's dead, my dad's dead. I can still find happiness and joy in the things that bring me happiness and joy. And I can still remember the happiness and joy that we had when they were here.

Mostly remember, life is NOT always like this things change. You get happy, you get sad, you get happy again.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

If you want to chat just drop me a line.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes we will, come on out for the get togehter.

7. Pot and booze are definately not the answer as they are both depressants, if you were wired and could not sleep would you drink a cup of coffee? Not a great idea.
    When i get feeling low I find it helps to get out and spend some time with friends, good ones!! talk for a little while, and don't be afraid to let them know whats going on, a good friend will understand; and you might be very surprised to learn that some of your buddies have felt the same way.
    I am sorry to hear about your dad, but it sounds like he is taking it pretty well and dealing with it. Something you could do though is spend some time with him (if possible). Identify the things you have in common and do those things; maybe go fishing if thats your thing.The weather has been pretty decent here in CO lately and i bet the trout in Lake Dillon are pretty hungry. Just let him know that you love him(no, you don't HAVE to come out and say it, i bet he will get the point), that can often be the best medicine in the world...for both of you.
    P.S. Concerning the girl, be patient, take your time, give her space, and just be a friend. I know its hard to do sometimes, but thats what makes the game so interesting.
    Hang in there bud, you will be ok...

8. eric, you defiantly should talk to someone!

ive been having a rough time myself, long and detailed and i wont waste your time, but you can feel free to drop me a pm or anything.
    spending time with your family is also a good idea, like Ed says to do.

and hey! your friend maybe interested later, but assuming she just doesnt want anything just now maybe means she has "clicked" with you. in time, relax about it just now though!

TB always here for you.

to try n cheer up, spend time with your buds, and just smile man, go for runs, weights, rock out on the ol woody (which ever you may choose :p )

hope your feeling better soon. :D

9. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    cryusanemoriver :p

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    wow i am sure that helped

11. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    who said we were obliged to help? :meh:

12. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    your not even a bass player are you!? :mad:

Feel better Eric.
    token

13. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    uh, yes we are :meh:

We'de be happy to PM you pictures of us and our basses if you so wish. We might even include action pics if you stop being so mean.

14. Even after 35 years on this planet the blatent ignorance of some people still manages to amaze me.

15. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
  16. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    No! Who's to say there not your boyfriends basses!

and the fun ensues...

hope you enjoy Eric!

17. Thanks for proving my point.

18. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Oh, and that was lame

or

oh,andthatwaslame

which ever you prefer. :meh:

19. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    You know what I heard about them? (Broken and the Angel)

I heard that one of them plays bass, but the other is a drummer! And one of them is a teenage or early 20's girl, but the other is a 300 lb tatoo'ed, bearded, biker dude.
    I'm not sure if it's true, but that's what I heard...

20. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    True but in the end there all the same... :p