1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

getting my bass setup adjusted.

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jmpiwonka, Aug 3, 2007.

1. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    took my bass to a luthier yesterday.

why?
    the bridge feet didn't fit the top plate perfectly and the bridge was cut a little too short when the adjusters were installed so i had lots of threads showing when i got my string height where i wanted it.

so i'm getting a new bridge cut for it.

i knew the whole setup could be looked at and i suspected the soundpost was a little tight. so I had the luthier look at it. it was tight. it was hard to get it to even fall. it left some small indentions on the back brace. the luthier said "it's a good possibility that you weren't getting to really hear your bass."

I'm excited, and the luthier is a little curious to hear what the bass sounds like after he sets it up...willow back and ribs and X brace on the back...

2. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    wow, i'm happy. made a nice difference, the bridge has alot less mass in it than the last one, he left the adjusters off which doesn't bother me because he got the string height right and i never messed with them.

it sounds like a more robust and open sounding version of my bass.

3. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    It's always nice to get your bass back and be happy. Getting a good setup can be like getting a new instrument.
    Did Charles, Stephen, or someone else do the good work for you?

4. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    it was charles, nice guy.