1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting New Project Off the Ground

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jim Dedrick, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    I live in more of a country setting and play in a local jazz trio (sax and drums) that does pretty well. Jazz trio gigs about once month as schedules allow. Wanting more time to play, I decided to build second project- perhaps more fusion based. Goal was to find a few more mature players and target Pat Metheny, Joe Pass, John Scofield like music. Practice once or twice and then take a few pub gigs to see what was out there. Used BandMix to find a new guitar player. Had a drummer I know and never played with before. Both the drummer and I are music degree 20+ years ago, play pretty regularly, and make our living doing something else. Guitar played claimed to have graduated from Berkley. Good news is I found another drummer. Guitar player not so much. Could not read chord changes, his time was awful, could not follow a road map, could not play 4s, and was in general just too loud. I cant believe this guy ever seriously played before. Gave it a try for about an hour and then told them it was simply not going to work. What a headache! Guess that is what I get for not asking for a recording in advance.

Just started playing with a 8 piece in the philly market that seems interesting and is not real close to home. It looks like about 4-5 gigs/yr. There does not seem to be much in the form of competent jazz out here- perhaps that is why my trio does well. Any suggestions how to build a good network of musicians in the local market or is traveling to the DC, Balt-Philly markets a requirement?

2. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Is there a music school near you? I play with a lot of cats that are recent graduates or almost graduated from their music program.

If you don't have anything locally, then you might try something I have done. I found local people competent on their instruments who wanted to learn jazz. We did community based stuff as service which were actually rehearsals. Now they are getting repeat corporate gigs. So, if there isn't a strong jazz community in your town, build one. But it will mean some investment of time and rehearsal on your part to train these people. Start with a keyboard player, which is the soul of the band -- they can play heads and chords, and you can do a duo bass/keys thing if you have to.

I don't know how far away your jazz players are in Philly etcetera, but you could ask them for referrals. I got a gig an hour away and asked some of the players I needed if they were free -- all were booked, but they started referring me musicians in the town that is an hour away. So, now I have a band composed of musicians in that town and hour away! No more travel premiums to pay!!!

3. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    Great input. Thanks. Have done that with a drummer already. It could go larger and try to pull in more interested people.

Playing in towns an hour away is the avenue I am trying. Philly is about an hour away and D.C. Is two hours with no traffic.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021