Getting started on gigs/playing out...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ch3ck3rs, Jul 17, 2004.

1. ch3ck3rs

Feb 8, 2004
    i think i have all of the theory/tools/technique/etc to start playing with other musicians, but i dont know where to start. i have most of a band, with a guitarist i really enjoy playing with, but he is very ill-motivated. basically i am wondering what to do to get started in playing out. either the music scene in this town really is as small as it seems (louisville, ky), or it is extremely hidden and underground. ive heard about one place having open-nights where anybody can sit in, but i dont know much about that yet.

so where and how do i get started?

(yes, i realize this may be subjective, since nobody on this forum may know my town)
  2. ch3ck3rs

Feb 8, 2004
    and one part i forgot...

i enjoy pretty much any kind of music, so genre/style wouldnt matter much.
  3. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    I rocked out on my Porch for about a week straight and one day a drummer showed up and we started jammin.....then a couple guitarist floated in from out of no where. Just a matter of time I guess. If you goto school, get the word out that you want to start/join a band. Check local college's for listings on activity boards and such. Does your town have a music scene? Goto some local shows and talk to band memebers there. Musicians always know other musicians and chances are pretty high they can help you find the remaining peices to your band or get you a lil starting gig.

If your not at the point where your ready to gig, Just play out with your guitarist friend. Music comes from the soul...and Im sure it will come naturally. If hes ill-motivated, remind him that people in bands get laid 17% more then the average person.......(Thats a lie, but he doesnt have to know that)
  4. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    The open jam may be a great way to get started. My advice is to go check it out, hear what kind of music they do and who is sitting in, find out if you know any songs they do, that kind of stuff... Then if you dig it, do it! :)
  5. Perfect Placebo

Perfect Placebo

Feb 21, 2004
    I haven't been in Louisville long enough to judge, but here in Henderson, there's pretty much no music scene, aside from the Pop/Rockers and the Punk Rawkers. As a jamband, I guess we really stick out, which is weird, because we're the ones trying to revive the music scene here...
  6. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I don't know what the situation is in your area, but here in San Antonio one booking agent controls about 80% of all club bookings. I called her up when I was playing in a classic rock band and she did not want anything to do with the band because classic rock doesn't sell here but said that dance music does. Once that band dissolved I immediately joined an upstart band that did play what did sell and around here that is dancable music. We probably play about 85% dance music and the rest is modern rock. The first gig took some pavement pounding to get, but after that it has all been downhill from there.
  7. ch3ck3rs

Feb 8, 2004
    yeah, our music scene here is either non-existent or very underground, because i dont see any signs of it. ive been in other towns where there are flyers everywhere, not here. at some cd stores there are heavy metal flyers, but thats it. a LOCAL radio station is building a place for bands to play, and there is this thing downtown called "4th street live" but every time i try to go see music, its "country night", so i have yet to check that out. i dont really care what music i play, i just want to play with other musicians. playing/practicing alone can get very old. i am also hoping to find somewhere to play music (maybe dance music, no prob) that will pay me enough to keep from having a job during college :rolleyes:

im in louisville, but next month i move to lexington, which is nothing but a college town, and there looks to be a great scene there.

thanks for all of the suggestions so far.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think the open jam/open mic suggestion is an ace. Just hook up with some guys/girls in your position by posting your personal ad on the bulletin boards at local music stores.

Doesn't Louahvuhl have a website for local musicians ???

I dig "Louahvuhl", big time!

And don't forget - "...evry girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man"
  9. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Another vote for the open mic/jam thing.

Classified ads are great way to network, but showing that you can actually play is what's going to get people asking for your phone number.

I suggest playing some Country. It requires some chops and there's a lot of money in it. Playing music is a great way to earn some cash while you're in school.
  10. My band played backyards for free with other bands. That's how most local bands around here get started.