1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting to the Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by iriegnome, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Everyone for themselves

59 vote(s)
    55.7%
  2. A Van or 2

32 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. A Bus

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. City/Public Transportation

7 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. Gigs, What Gigs

13 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. Carrots always make a fine accompanyment

13 vote(s)
    12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    OK. How do you get yourself, the others in the band, roadies, sound/Light crew, merchandise and everything else to a gig?

2. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    Separately, or together?

3. cars?

4. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Cars would be in the everyone for themselves catagory.

5. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Oh, My band just bought a retired 77 passanger school bus.
    We love it.

6. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    my only gig right now (now that pep band is over) is just my combo. i might pick up a horn player, but pretty much all on our own. It was the same with my funk band. We had a pickup truck we would borrow for the pa, but I usually just drove myself, maybe one other.

7. Frag

Frag

Mar 4, 2008
    West Wales
    I dont drive (broke my back in the parachute regiment) so I cadge a lift from either my drummer of guitarist lol

8. satchelbsamia

satchelbsamia

Nov 25, 2007
    Georgia
    we ride with our equipment in our Dodge 3500 Van :)

9. Elemetal

Elemetal

Mar 10, 2006
    I put Carrots because I usually drive there. And I wouldn't fit in the everyone for themselves because we always carpool as a band. We always take our stuff before. Then ride in style and its there for us to giv'er.

10. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    conversion van and trailer. usually 5-7 people. 5 band members and one or two friends.

11. Incognitus

Incognitus Amen!

Mar 25, 2006
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Depends, If it's in town we all just bring our own equipment and ourselves in our own cars, while maybe one or two carpool.

If it's an out of town gig we all pile into a pickup or passenger van and haul the gear in a trailer.

12. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Lately I've been playing mostly city gigs so I've been taking the subway. But at home for the summer, my band from hs shoves as much stuff into 2 cars as possible and go that way.

13. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    The gear always arrives in the guitarist's trailer.

People transport themselves, if its an "in town" gig. Out of town, we all go in the guitarist's big cab truck, with the trailer in back.

14. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I assume you use a DI instead of an amp on those subway gigs? :) I would imagine any kind of rig would prove... interesting on a train.

15. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Guitarist and singer in one car.
    Horns in another.
    Piano, bass, drums and percussion in another.
    Gear in a van driven by whoever's girlfriend is the most star-struck.

In convoy preferably, so you can get creative with the car horns at busy intersections.

16. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    On local gigs its everyone in their own cars. Out of town we tend to carpool

17. we usually convoy to gigs, 3 or 4 vehicles, then once we're there we set and then dispurse throughout the city for grub before the show starts

18. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Chevy astro panel van. Best 700 bucks i ever spent. Only two passenger, but i haul all the gear and get a per diem from the band for doing so. (is it obvious that I don't speak latin?)

19. oyobass

oyobass

Feb 20, 2008
    Spanaway, WA
    I ride the old mountain bike for local stuff. I go direct mostly, so it all fits in a gig bag. Not fun in a windstorm, a bass/bag make a great sail, but only with a tailwind.

oyo

20. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    We actually do not really play any gigs closer to home than about 100 miles round trip. Since we bought the bus, we have put about 4,000 miles on it. We have had it for 2 months. This last weekend alone (Thursday-Sunday) we played 3 states and put on 2,000 miles. What an awesome way to travel cheap and semi-comfortable.