GHS Pressurewound: a set that never dies?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Jan 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I started using L7200 light guage Pressurewounds on my 3 main basses about a year ago. I got all 3 sets on each bass within a month or 2 of each other, and I've put nearly the same amount of time on each set with the BB2024x getting the most gigging time and is the oldest set. However, the strings have yet to break in and the sound is as new as day one on the BB2024x set. Sounds like that would be cool, however its to much fret clank and not enough thud or smoothness that I normally dig, like from a well used set of nickel rounds. I play in a few R&B Funk Motown cover bands and my tone live or through headphones is just too zingy on the BB2024x.

I originally put 500k v/v/t controls in my BB2024x and just replaced the 500k for 250k v/v/t this weekend to see if that would take away the fret noise and high end tone? No luck, so I swapped the strings on my Fender p/j and BB2024x as the BB3000s are the newest set (although more dull then the BB2024x set) and the Fender set sounded the most dead of all of them. Once installed the smoothness and old school sound was right there on the BB2024x like it was on the Fender! Of course the Fender now had the zing and more fret noise, although that would be great for some, just not for me.. So my questions is, has anyone notice such a big difference in tone or breakin period with the same guage Pressurewounds like I have? I mean its a huge tone difference, almost like completely different strings...

DE2E19AC-30FB-48A4-981F-48243BDE25BA.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've had a set of M7200's on my main bass for over a year. I'd say it took a few weeks for them to mellow a bit, but even then, it wasn't drastic. They're still going strong, with plenty of definition for my ears.

Fresh out of the package, I didn't notice them sounding clanky, but then again, my bass has Bartolini Deep Tone humbuckers.

Pbassmanca and Spidey2112 like this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Mine definitely needed changing at 10 months. Sounds like you should be playing flats.

Pbassmanca, RoadRanger and pcake like this.
  4. I think the point the OP is trying to make is not how long the PWs should last in general.
    The question is why the three sets of L7200 haven't aged the same way with roughly the same usage on them. One stayed "bright and clanky" while another mellowed nicely.

Pbassmanca and wyleeboxer like this.
  5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Agreed. In this instance it is one of psychological perception or misperception within the OP himself, and not the physics of the strings; basses, or controls.

6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    they stayed bright for me (and i'm not a fan of new string sound) till the day they suddenly died at 9 months with no warning.

El-Bob, Pbassmanca and Linnin like this.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    How rude and inconsiderate! ;)

8. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    :D :smug: :roflmao:

BrentSimons, Pbassmanca and Linnin like this.
  9. PWSDS = Pressurewound Sudden Death Syndrome - I've heard a few others talk about it before. ;)

10. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Yes to this .. I would say all 3 basses or sets did not have the exact playing time but close, and the dull set is so drastically different then the other, it also mellowed just a month after newly installed.. and the 1 set is still so bright, even after I swapped to another bass it still kept its new round wound tone.. no big. Just wondering I suppose

11. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    one of them would be me... :D

My first PWB128 low B was just like that, suddenly went dead. Fortunately, the next low B that came from the M7200-5 set has survived quite a long time, more than a year already.

wyleeboxer and Pbassmanca like this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I just picked up the Pressurewounds... mediums, though... I've heard nothing but good about them, and they will soon be on my Highway One...

BrentSimons and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  13. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Probably because those who dislike the Pressurewounds don't bother to speak out. If you end up liking the PWs, that's good. But to me the PWs offered the worst of both worlds with no clear relative advantage.

wyleeboxer and El-Bob like this.
  14. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    I've been wondering lately if pressurewounds might last longer than traditional rounds.

They're different strings, but I was using the Dean Markley Helix pressurewounds until they discontinued them and found that I got a solid year out of them before they died suddenly - much like the experience of pcake above.

15. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    I can definitely see how someone would experience them that way. For me, personally, I had an epiphany one day and realized that I was perpetually fighting to tame the brightness of most of the roundwound sets I tried. Pressurewounds sounded exactly how I always wished my rounds would sound. Not for everyone though, as evidenced by how difficult it is to find a set (especially here in Canada).

wyleeboxer likes this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    “Clank” isn’t in the strings. It’s in the height of the string action on your bass and how you play it based on my own experience. But I’m from that school of bass players who are of the opinion that if you’re getting clank you either need a better setup, or you need to work on your technique.

Without hearing and seeing the OP play the basses in question I’d have no way of knowing why he’s experiencing what he is. On any bass I’ve ever put that same set of strings on, they sound like well broken in nickel rounds almost right out of the box. So go figure.

MrLenny1 and wyleeboxer like this.
  17. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Gremlin 2.jpg Here's your problem; String Gremlins. Leave some old D'Addarios or other old rounds out for them, and they'll leave your Pressurewounds alone...;)

18. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I agree to a point, the older and still very bright “clank” set came off and replaced with the newer more mellowed broken in “non-clank” set onto the same bass with same set up.. played it out tonight and no clank and I was able to dig in to get some old school punch...

Still not sure how long PW’s last before they completely die, like as long as old flats? But anyway can anyone recommend some light guage low tension non clankin flats? Was going to try on my BB2024 next go around

19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Don't bother to speak out? On TalkBass?

:cool:... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:.

20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Regarding PW's 'shelf life', I would think the strings lasting a year, with regular use, is pretty good...

... I know they're not flats, but are they supposed to last longer?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022