1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson 2018 SG Std.'s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrNylon, Dec 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

From what I've seen, the Gibson 2018 SG Std.'s are a bit slow on availability at most Gibson dealers. I just saw them shown on SamAsh.com, priced at $1,429.00. That's $130.00 higher than Sweetwater.com. Sweetwater is selling them for $1,299. A lower price on Sweetwater, and you're able to pic the one you prefer from Sweetwater's Guitar Gallery.
    z6kP5fx.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  2. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    If I knew then what I do now, I would have picked up one of the last batch when they were being closed out for half that price.

Oh well - there's always used, right?

gsgbass likes this.
  3. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    At that price I prefer to buy a vintage EB.

4. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Are they keeping the extra thick rosewood fretboard they used on the 2016s (I think it was — anyway, the last year before the recent stop in production)? I tried one and didn’t like it.

I eventually went with a used 2014 with a regular thickness rosewood fretboard instead that I liked much better (had to suck it up a bit and take the resulting unwanted-by-me "120th Anniversary" fretboard inlay, but no biggie).

5. MrNylon

The 2018 SG Std. is basically the same as the 2015, minus the Mother of Pearl inlays in the fretboard.

nvOH9nB.

6. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Okay, then I guess it has the thicker fretboard then; good to know

Gibson.com: SG Standard Bass 2015

My personal preference would be for a regular non-thicker fretboard but with the real M.o.P. inlays (nice touch). However, I don’t need a second SG bass, so it’s basically just academic for me/for possible future reference

gsgbass likes this.
  7. MrNylon

One other slight difference is, the Truss Rod Cover on the 2018 SG Std. is blank. I replaced it with an SG stamped I had from a previous SG. Gibson has discontinued stamped SG Truss Rod Covers.
    Acquiring a 2018 is a redemption for selling the 2015 I had. The QC on the 2018 SG is right on. I do like the Walnut SG Std.

Xem6fxn.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  8. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    My 2014 T Bird also has the (unwanted) 120 anniversary thing in the 12th fret. Wouldn’t have been my preference, but I love the bass and don’t really even notice now :)

9. MrNylon

I had a Heritage Cherry, and a Faded SG Std. with the 120th Annv. markers on them. I kinda' liked them on there.

dukeorock likes this.
  10. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    That one you posted certainly is a looker

Tbone76, mesaplayer83 and gsgbass like this.
  11. MrNylon

Thanks, they did a great job on it. Everything on it is finished as it should be.

Sn8Zptu.

12. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    That’s such a beautiful finish. One of my favorites :)

gsgbass likes this.
  13. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    20170428_134116.

I actually like the anniversary inlay on my fire-burst SG... back in the 1940's Gibson used to have a banner decal on the headstock - this kinda' reminds me of those.

14. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    I sold a really great Melody Maker Les Paul because it had that ugly thing & I couldn't stand it..

dukeorock likes this.
  15. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I love my T Bird way too much. I’ll live with the inlay :)

Tbone76 and gsgbass like this.
  16. I'm over in the UK, and they're still not on sale here yet.

I've got a HC on order.... deposit paid, just waiting for the day. I was originally told 6 weeks.... we're at 4 now, so it can't be too far.

In the meantime, my satin SG is getting all the gig time.... complete with 120th anniversary inlay. Super bass, but I'm just desperate to get my hands on the new one in the colour I originally wanted!

Tbone76 and gsgbass like this.
  17. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    I'm lucky to have a 2004 Gibson Thunderbird without the inlay & with a beautiful ebony fretboard.

Tbone76, ajkula66 and dukeorock like this.
  18. MrNylon

I'm running the SG Std. through the Ampeg V-4B / SVT-212AV. What a sound.

5Jty2Wg. io5Fx0X.

19. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I agree - very nice...

gsgbass likes this.
  20. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    The 120th Anniversary inlay is a weird thing — as can be seen in EdwardofHuncote’s picture above, it’s actually not a bad looking inlay in of of itself. It’s even kind of classy looking almost (the font could be a little thinner, I think, but overall not too bad). And yet, it kind of bothers me when I notice it. Fortunately, I don’t usually notice it or think about it, but when it catches my eye, it’s just like a little momentary “What the ?" is generated for a second before my attention moves on, lol.

Thinking about it, they should have released 120th Anniversary special editions of various models as collectibles, maybe with like Orville’s likeness engraved on the pick guard cover with a quote from him such as, "We will sell no mandolin before its time" or "It comes in any color you want, as long as it’s sunburst" or whatever. But instead, they threw it on every single thing they made that year (maybe not every item, but it was seemingly on everything), right out front there on the 12th fret. It doesn’t enhance the value — nobody is gonna spend extra on it because it’s a "120th Anniv. edition". There was no extra added feature or quality. Gibson threw it on there to celebrate themselves and their history. They did it for them, not for the customer.

In contrast, I actually liked my old Les Paul Deluxe’s 30th Anniversary (anniversary of the LP Deluxe, of which it was in fact a special reissue of what had been an out-of-production model) badging. It was on the back of the headstock, so it was like this little special extra thing about it when you turned it around.

Anyway, no biggie on the 120th inlay; it’s just makes me cock my head a bit when I notice it. But whatever, despite this long post, it’s actually not a big part of my impression of the bass. Just like when I bought it, I gave the inlay a momentary, "huh?" and then moved right on in my inspection and then bought it.

Here’s a picture of the Deluxe’s anniversary thing: 15BD8345-8597-4F91-B279-2FDCD0423F68.

dukeorock likes this.