1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Grabber

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by letsgotothemaul, Mar 14, 2008.

1. letsgotothemaul

letsgotothemaul

Mar 14, 2008
    thoughts upon this short lived bass, i'm looking into buying a use one

2. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Good luck dude.

3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I don't know that I would describe the Grabber as "short lived" they were introduced in 1974 and produced until 1982. There were several other models that were produced for less time than that.

Here is a very good site on Gibson basses:

http://www.gibsonbass.com/basses.php

4. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

sounds like a p-bass with a big body
    i absolutly despised it.

5. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I always liked the way they looked but alas, no lefties. :(

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

The electronics are flaky due to the moving pickup. I preferred the G3 and even the Ripper was better IMO.

7. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I love mine. I almost sold it recently due to the size of the neck (not a fan of P-bass profiles), but it's the tone that stopped me!

8. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I had a 74 Grabber. It was the first bass that I bought new. Personally, I liked the sliding pickup. I could adjust the pup from Bridge to middle to neck and back while I was playing.

9. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Isn't this it?
    I think it sound great! It must be the grabber g3?

10. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Thats a Ripper and it does sound good. You can tell the Ripper by it's set neck, square headstock & varitone switch.

Great clip

11. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Aha. :) I just got GAS

12. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I bought a Ripper brand new in 75 and it was a pretty decent and versatile bass.
    I have played my share of Grabbers and they really do seem to have been Gibson's
    answer tonewise to the P-Bass. I liked the sliding pickup concept which did allow you
    to tweak the positional sweet spot to some degree to your liking.

Grabbers are great basses for those who want something vintage from Gibson. They
    are solid and sound great and are still affordable. They weren't the most
    refined basses that Gibson ever made,but they are fun to play.

13. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I had a Ripper and it had the best bass neck I have ever tried.

ripper.

No one can tell me tht a Black On Black Ripper is not a cool bass.

14. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Yes it is a very cool bass indeed.

15. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I absolutely adore my Grabber. The neck on it plays like a dream, and it sounds great in a mix.

16. I still play a ripper and I don't care I think running it through my 400+ and powerhouse 1000 its the sickest thing,,, also have the bagend 15's and soon to sit ontop a Markbass LM2 and that will tweak that sound even more...

very cool bass my ripper,, grabbers where everywhere when greenday came around anmd mike dirnt used one but now they are becoming scarce,,, I'm looking for a black or burst ripper or a grabber, EB-3, you know so Pm me if you know of any...

17. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    I bought a new Grabber in 1977, mostly because it was the cheapest US-made bass in the store and my ability at the time to go elsewhere was limited. Natural matte finish body w/maple neck. It was a decent enuff bass, no complaints that I can recall. For the life of me I cannot remember what happened to it. I think I had it for a couple years, probably not much longer, if that. It was one of only two Gibsons I've ever owned (the other was an EB-0). If I could get my hands on one today, in good shape and at a very reasonable price, I'd probably 'grab' it up. That's not likely to happen as these days they have become more collectible, I believe, than useful, although there is nothing inherently 'wrong' with them. Go for it...

18. Yup, I agree. The first new bass I ever bought was a Grabber, largely because I couldn't afford the Ripper. That was in 1975. I don't own the Grabber any more (it was stolen) and I don't miss it. There wasn't as much choice in those days. Bass Northwest has one for $900. I would never pay that. There are better choices available nowadays (I sound like a grizzled old timer!)

19. Im pretty sure thats a ripper (but dont quote me on that).

The G3 had 3 pickups

20. For the same $900, Bass Northwest has a used Warwick Corvette 5 string and a used fretless Pedulla :eek:! I'd take either of those over the Grabber.

Ah, the used market can be a cruel place.