1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson Les Paul bass 90's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luisfpr, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Hi there
    I need some info regarding a Group of basses les paul, from Gibson, named:
    LPB-1
    LPB-2
    LPB-3
    Ebony fretboard,
    Active?
    Bartolini?
    Preamp?
    Are you, boys, fortunate owners of one of these?
    Good experience?
    Thanks
    Luis

2. Tuhnedr

Tuhnedr

Jul 18, 2012
    Sadly I don't own one, but I know someone who did!

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Man, the one Allen Woody is playing there sounds great! I picked up a used Gibson Les Paul bass in the mid-90's. It wasn't real fancy. Just a plain Heritage Cherry, but it sounded good. I sold it after only a couple months though to fund a Fender '62 Reissue P-Bass I had my eye on. I've always had a preference for passive basses.

Not sure what I was thinking at the time, but I don't have any pics of that old Les Paul. I could kick myself for that!

4. s-l300. descarga.

Tari and pudgychef like this.
  5. gibson-les-paul-bass-lpb-3-xl.

pudgychef likes this.
  6. One of each model...

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  7. You don't have a pic of the LPB-2/ deluxe, up there. That one came with the Barts and preamp. The LPB-1/ special, started out passive with TB+ and vol/vol/tone then they started making them with the active preamp after the first year of production. LPB-3/ standard started out with a three point bridge and active pre then switched to a warwick bridge and eventually lost the preamp as well. Some of the standards came as five strings and some had flame maple tops called premium plus. There was the double cut Les Paul at the end of the run too which transitioned into the $ bass. Standards and double cuts had TB+ pickups but were in chrome PAF sized covers.

Tom Pardi likes this.
  8. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I’ve played one of these a couple of years ago. I was greatly impressed with the tone.

9. Oh yeah, my double cut $ bass rawks! I love my Peavey Millennium but the Gibson is what the guitar player in my band asks me to bring to the gigs. The bass Woody is playing has the active pre. You can tell because it doesn't have the pickup switch. I guess most people like the passive ones but I wouldn't pass up a good deal on active LPB-3 either, the clip speaks for itself.

pudgychef likes this.
  10. you look like an expert in this kind of gibsons.
    Could you recommend the best years of LPB-3/ standard? what kind of pickups are installed in these basses?
    thanks

11. The pickups are passive TB+ like a modern Thunderbird but they are wound on a smaller bobbin to fit in the guitar size chrome casing. I'm not enough of an expert to know which years are better but I'd think the ones with the Warwick bridge are more appealing to most people than the earliest ones with the 3 point bridge. General rule of thumb is try before you buy if possible. The ergonomics of the body and how it hangs from a strap aren't for everyone.

pudgychef likes this.
  12. Here's mine.Passive.. Great bottom end with this bass!:thumbsup: IMAG0390.

13. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Ben Folds' bass player used one, diiiirrrrty:

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You can find a lot of good info on the various Gibson bass models at the Fly Guitars website. Look here.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  15. He had at least two. The vintage burst goes well with a leather fringe jacket.

16. Hard not to think of Eddie Spaghetti and the Supersuckers when you see a black LPB-3.

Skybone likes this.
  17. But yours has a pickup selector?

gelinas666 likes this.
  18. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX

19. Setup the same as a LP guitar..

20. Yup, the passive ones have a switch, the earlier active ones do not.

gelinas666 likes this.