Gibson RD Artist - Low Output?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by derekeugene, Dec 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. derekeugene

derekeugene Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Kansas City
    Cross-posted from Basses. Figured there'd be some great knowledge here as well.

Hey All

I recently picked up a '78 RD Artist and I'm wondering about the overall output. Hoping for some sage TB wisdom and experience with these.

First off, love the big, fat neck, I find it to be super comfy on a strap, and the general tone is very cool. The problem I'm running into is that even compared to my Jazz with Antiquities, the output on this thing is pretty low. I've tried new batteries and different cables and amps.

I run a 70s SVT (non-master) and literally have to dime it on the normal channel to keep up with my loud drummer and guitar player. I've tried boosting the signal with a Fulltone Bassdrive but it gets really noisy.

I did some searching and found others had this problem and suggest ripping out the electronics, which I don't want to do. I would be open to possible throwing an Aguilar preamp in there if there's room and would fix the issue, bypassing the stock electronics.

Anyone run into this issue and maybe have some guidance?

Thanks!

2. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Maybe an onboard boost like the EMG PA2

3. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    What Will said above, and did you check the battery? That could be low

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021