1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson SG kit body cut to violin EBO shape?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bass V, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    the most feasible way to achieve my ever fleeting dream of a great original EB is to make it and maybe this recut idea from a kit is the most expeditious route if viewers think the smaller violin body can fit on the SG template. I'll probably add a third cutaway at the tail which may lessen the EB's body length a tad, but my main concern is getting the perfect match (or better!) at the neck join and using the start of the SG volute sweeps to lead into the soft slope of the EB's upper shoulders. does it look like there's plenty of wood to remove or will this be a critical point to retain as much 'body' as possible and do minimal cutting?
    these can be ordered with customized or no cavity routing.
    the EBs were pretty thick and have carved tops, I can add a cap on the back to beef up the body and a violin luthier friend can carve the top for me to replicate the original look, plus I want the neck screwed into the body as well as glued in hopes of vanquishing any dead spots along the neck. still deciding on a better possible bridge than the old stud stopper and which brand of mudbucker to go with at the neck AND bridge.
    any thots, help, opinions? all welcomed!
    also considering getting a 2nd SG kit to build first as experience with this DIY kit, I like the idea of ebony fretboards on these fakes and customizing them to my desires and maybe improving them is better than messing up originals and still being unsatisfied...

upload_2017-12-29_7-7-4.

upload_2017-12-29_7-5-46.

upload_2017-12-29_6-28-3.

upload_2017-12-29_6-30-2.

Custom Guitar Kits | Pit Bull Guitars
    Pit Bull Guitars SGB-30 Bass Guitar Kit (Short Scale) | Pit Bull Guitars

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I'm sure you could carve that violin body out of the SG body shown, although you'd want to order it with no control cavity, as that will fall right in the middle of your new body shape. You may need to tweak it a bit to ensure the dimensions fit well. Not a lot to be gained by gluing and screwing, but YMMV.

Gluing a cap on the back in addition to reshaping this body adds up to more work than just making a new body from scratch in the shape you want from the beginning. Food for thought depending on your skill-set and access to tools and luthier buddies. :)

There are a few different bridge options out there to replace that old 3 point - google is your friend. :D

Please keep posting in this thread as your project moves forward, I'm sure it would get a lot of interest!

Bass V likes this.
  3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'll just get the kit and have a better perspective with hands on, if it doesn't look doable then I'll simply have a nice new SG bass, can't go wrong there! I'd never be comfortable with merely a set neck, that's too crucial an issue for me and I'd like this to be a keeper. it's is all kitchen table workshop stuff with minimal tooling but gluing the cap is no biggie, gotta cut anyway, the tradeoff in getting the thickness and look correct (plus I want the mass) is worth it.
    I doubt there's interest in this escapade but for a $500 investment it might end up ok.

4. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    RedVee and Bass V like this.
  5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    wellllll haaaawwwwt dog, Uncle Jeb, will ya looky there!!!
    thanx, boss, I guess if you wish upon a star, click your heels together three times, and dreams do come true then an Eastwood can come thru again with what I'd hoped hard for! it ain't a Gibson but it'll do, and no selling off a body part to pay or qualms about modding it. this day just got better!
    I still want to do the kit and this will help big time ...if I find the time after getting one of these.

6. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    I just love the way this company recreates old guitars. They stay true tonthe original concepts while getting rid of some design flaws inherent to the old models.

RedVee and Bass V like this.
  7. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yes, I think they're the ones who redid my old Magnatone Mark V and Wurlitzer Gemini, so this makes at least 3 impossible to imagine repros that were right up my weird alley.

8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    the more I look at the Eastwood the less in luv I am, it might be great but I'd like to see more specs, I'll want one anyway. I envision something far better looking and performing should I tackle this.