Gig pay

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Ric5, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I like 5, 8, 10, and 12 string basses
    E3RwUbZl9NV6hGTVieKyQujlY_HNRp0Fh_O3s4NfyYxvRePag_FBDYd-ThSVk3nj4B7mV0sG&_nc_ht=scontent.fapa1-2.jpg

MrLenny1, kevindahl, RSBBass and 45 others like this.
  2. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
  3. Yeah, but has beer quality improved any?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  4. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Probably not. In fact it probably tastes almost exactly but not entirely unlike beer...

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    But ... in 2050 there's no load in, no set up, don't even have to leave home ... it's all holograms and virtual reality. They'll even pay in VR-bucks.

6. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Do you really think there will still be live local music in 2050? All joking aside, I wouldn't be surprised if the day and age of bar/club bands is coming to an end. But what do I know?...;)

Mili, okcrum and Kevan Campbell like this.
  7. Laidback1

Laidback1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central Texas
    Sad but probably so

SoCal80s likes this.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Depends on the gig. Just made $300.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I like 5, 8, 10, and 12 string basses
    Interesting thought …

our culture is becoming less tolerant of drinking and smoking and drugs …

But a lot of people are heavy drinkers and like to go to bars. As for me I drink very very little and I detest being in a smoke environment and I have zero interest in drugs … and I almost never go to bars. The ONLY reason I go is to see live music, and I quite often drink NA beer when I do go to a bar.

mikewalker likes this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

i love gig pay.

Mili, kwdhsk and BassCliff like this.
  11. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
    Heard this a few times:
    Musician - People that will go 500 miles with $10,000 in gear to go play a 4 hour show for $100.
    I believe it goes something like that.

12. I raised my minimum as of today. We'll see how it goes. I suspect that at least for awhile I'll have fewer but better gigs. Already turned down a couple.

13. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    $300 sat
    $530 nye

14. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    NYE netted me the equivalent of $350 for a 3 short sets, 40 minute from home, and free drinks (not worth much when you are driving). My normal take home is $130.

I know that our band is hanging on by our finger tips to a rapidly shrinking gig market but at my age (68) I don't know how long I can continue. When I hit 50 I thought I was reaching the end if the road.

I sub for a pro bandleader, when he asks if I am free my first question is "where" and if it is more than an hour away I will be "washing my hair".

15. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    My drummer made $16 last Friday in his other band (original metal). Unheard of!

SoCal80s, Mili, mikewalker and 3 others like this.
  16. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    ...I'm cheap... $100.00 cash and free drinks for three hours, three 15 minute breaks...

alanolynn likes this.
  17. Pretty sure I won't be around by 2050 so no worries.

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Is there still smoking in bars in Colorado? Even here in North Carolina (a big tobacco producing state) we haven't had smoking in bars for years.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Stick to your guns. Price yourself as valuable and you will be perceived as valuable. The private/wedding/corporate band I was in did the same thing years ago. Huge price increase on January 1 of 2005. We had a short sag for a month or so. Then our calendar filled up more than it ever had by early spring. Summer was slammed. Holiday and NYE parties were stacked and racked.

Hold the line. Good luck with it.

20. It's not unheard of in original metal. :(:banghead::dead: