1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gig rant

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Got a gig in SF tonight, & I do not, DO NOT, DO NOT want to go. It's a 50 mile drive into a horrendously unfriendly-to-idiot-drivers city, it's raining & I would much rather veg & get the kids ready for school tomorrow(they were on spring break all last week). To flake would severely jack the rest of the band- they have played w/o bass, but they need my van for various reasons. Plus it would certainly burn a bridge- before crossing it.
    I know, quit whining or quit. I just needed to vent.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Maybe playing in a band isn't your thing.

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Quit your whining.

4. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Sell them the van, then quit.

5. PurpleGiant

PurpleGiant

Apr 1, 2010
    Salem,OR
    I would not want to drive to San Francisco either. The temptation to run over those dirty greaseball hippies, those entitled, self-absorbed nose-in-the-air scumbag yuppies would be too much. Then I'd end up in East Palo Alto and get shot. Sweet.

6. SF is a very unfriendly-to-ANY-drivers city. I hate having to drive in there for any reason.

7. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    loan them your van and stay with the kids :D

8. Thanks for all the input, guys. The gig actually went incredibly well- traffic was negligible, parking was easier than I've ever known for SF & the crowd LOVED us. Being in a band really isn't my thing anymore but these guys won't let me go. :D

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Glad the gig went well and involved fewer hassles than expected.

Next time, get some cheese to go with your whine!
    May I suggest some Humboldt Fog?
    Cheese_30_bg_051906.

:D

10. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM~
    Before the show we grabbed dinner in a nice little hole in the wall called Grubstake- a Greek/Portugese place that has been on Diners & Dives, for good reason. I had a French dip w/onion rings(the rings were pure SEX).

11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Heh heh! I feel your pain, and relief.

I occasionally have a gig where I'm just dreading it, for a variety of reasons - too tired, too many other things going on at the time, not wanting to make the trip et cetera. The worst bit is usually just getting ready to get the hell out of the house and go. Once you force yourself into doing that, it's never as bad as you think it's going to be. Often those gigs turn out to be a really sweet surpise and just what I actually needed to take my mind off all the other nonsense.

Oh, and well done for sticking with it and not letting the guys down. 90% of professionalism is sometimes just getting to the gig, no matter what.