Gig report: Hyperstar @ Petit Campus, 04/12/2018

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Frank77, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Last Thursday was a night of firsts:

• First time playing le Petit Campus, a very nice mid-sized venue in Montréal. Possibly the coolest place we've played so far.
    • First time having an actual dressing room / storage area for our crap, our own washroom and a ton of COLD water bottles provided by the venue.
    • First time for me gigging the Quilter Bass Block and my new, downsized pedalboard. I'm really *this close* to a one-trip schlep : Once I receive my new super cab, it'll be a done deal, but this time around I had to take the rent-a-cab route and used a 4x10 (oh, the irony).
    Overall the gig went great : We had 92 people show up (not bad on a week night with miserable weather) and the crowd was fun and participative. The venue staff really liked us too, it seems...we might play there again (fingers crossed).

Alrighty, now some pictures:

The venue. Hard to tell from that pic, but the lighting was really nice. Just the right amount of darkness with nice mellow colours on the columns by the edge of the dance floor. Bonus: Disco Ball!

30630048_1599707533491902_6916379136046923776_o.jpg

Mandatory crappy cell phone setup / grub combo pic (that's the sandwich I ate during the horn section soundcheck sitting on top of the cab - still wrapped, of course). Quilter Bass Block + 4x10 = A ton of ooomph on tap. If I have to rent again (which I hope I won't), I might go for a 2x10 instead if I can find one.

20180412_184016.jpg

Some pictures of us playing. My favorite 6-stringer and I still sported our matching, very suspicious-looking cream/yellow-ish vintage jackets with brown ornaments:

30688390_1600588316737157_1859535979480612864_o.jpg

Our singer Alex was in great shape vocally and looked stunning as usual. She had saved her voice in the few rehearsals leading to the show, but she really belted out some of the high notes. So much so that the guitar player and I exchanged a few glances during the performance, mouth and eyes wide open kind of silently going "Whaaaaaaaaaaa?".

30688422_1600588433403812_6827820243298025472_o.jpg
    30698563_1600588330070489_4328260624053174272_o.jpg
    As usual, there was a lot of jaw-droppingly impressive dancing going on during our "Soul Train" segments! 30708486_1600588516737137_8272022594513797120_o.jpg

At one point, even the sound guy and the bouncer couldn't resist!

Hope you all had a good weekend!

Cheers,

Frank

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Wow! Great gig! Nice room. What a fun band. Thanks for sharing.

I have that same Neo 410 cab and I love it but I use my 210 cab for most of my gigs. I'm a one load schlep kind of guy too. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. Thanks Cliff! :thumbsup:

BassCliff likes this.
  4. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Nice room, great crowd, killer band. The trifecta for a fun gig.

Any longer video available? I want more. :thumbsup:

Another one trip guy here. So nice to live in the time of small, lightweight bass gear. :)

5. Thanks!

Maybe there will be some later. A friend of the band was shooting some videos for us the whole evening - they're probably being edited right now. I can post a link when they come out!

pablomago, BassCliff and McG like this.
  6. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Wow! Good lookin' band, you have there!! (And the sound ain't bad, either!!)

7. Thanks a lot! I must say, much credit goes to our horn section. Working with them certainly has given me a new perspective on musicianship as a whole. I'm happy when I nail the few solos I have per gig, but these guys solo on just about every song and have to remain focused just to stay in tune. We haul more stuff, but I think we still have it pretty good!

8. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Perfect gig.. nice band, nice crowd, nice rig .. bass player (hair optional) like me .. standing next to the drummer in the back holding down the groove... good job.

Wisebass, mwbonsall, McG and 2 others like this.
  9. It sure beats at day in the office! Thanks for your kind words!

mwbonsall and McG like this.
  10. Wow~! You guys look great! Lighting, outfits, everything a real pro setup!
    Nice work!!

11. Thanks! :thumbsup:

mwbonsall likes this.
  12. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Frank77 :)

"Small" campus and a great band! :cool:

fingerscrossed.gif

I 'll do my best! I am sure, next time the house will be packed...

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: :hyper::hyper:
    :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:
    :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

...so I can post more than 92 jumpys! :D

Cool report! You groove!!!

thx for sharing :thumbsup:

Wise(b)ass

Frank77 likes this.
  13. Wow, thanks! :laugh:

Wisebass likes this.
  14. Road Hat

Road Hat

Oct 9, 2008
    I noticed you had a few pedals in your setup. What’re you running?

Great band btw, I always always love a horn section.

Frank77 likes this.
  15. Thanks!

I've downsized my pedalboard a bit. These days I'm running a compressor (FEA labs opti-FET), octaver (MXR BOD) and envelope filter (MXR BEF). I used to also have overdrive (pork loin) and chorus (tech21), but didn't use them enough to justify the extra bulk / weight.

Road Hat likes this.
  16. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    8 pc band. Cool.
    Thanks for posting.

Frank77 likes this.
  17. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    How's the gigging scene in Montreal, @Frank77? I'm going to be moving there later this year. Not sure if I plan on trying to play music, but I've been curious to find out what it's like.

18. Cool! Winter might be an adjustment for you, but otherwise life's very good here. There are tons of musicians of all levels and of all genres here: Just put up an ad on kijiji.ca or bandmix.ca and you'll find people to jam with in no time. I've been playing bass for 22 years and I've lived here for almost 6. In the time I've been here, I've gigged many, many times more than in all the previous 16 years combined. I put an ad maybe a week after I moved here, about 3 weeks in I started playing with a singer/pianist, and within 2 months I started playing in small cafes and meeting more musicians. Maybe I was just lucky, but it was really easy for me to start gigging after I moved to Montreal.

There is a good number of venues for live music and it's fairly easy to find a place where to play, the downside is don't expect to make a lot of money out of it if you're a part-timer like me (probably the same can be said about many other places, though).

Also, Montreal is a good place to be for music fans and concertgoers : We have a symphonic orchestra, a world-renowned jazz festival, Osheaga, Heavy Montreal, and probably a bunch of other events that I don't know about. Most big pop/rock acts stop by the Bell Centre on their North American tours too, if that's your thing.

PM me if I can be of any help.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Sore Thumb and McG like this.
  19. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Thanks so much for the info - very helpful! I will definitely PM you if I have any questions once we get closer to the move date.

Frank77 likes this.