Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Would a Fender Rumble 100 be gigable with my freinds 120W stack?
  2. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    Probably. With my Rumble 25, however, you wouldn't get too far. :rolleyes:
  3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    giggable, but not desirable. Likely you're going to encounter some pretty bad clipping if he cranks up and you need to do the same. Headroom is an important thing. BUT, if upgrading is not in the budget - it will probably work for now. Of course style of music, location, etc. all come into play.
  4. It all depends on how loud your friend turns up his 120 watt stack. Can your Rumble 100 compete with his stack if he decides to turn up? Probably not.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
  6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
  7. if your guitarist has more watts than you your in a world of hurt.
  8. How good are Yorkville amps. That was another possibility. The 2x10 or 1x15. Both have tweeters and are 200W. Which one would you get? I know i have a lot of questions but what is headroom?
  9. yorkville make GREAT amps and cabinets for the price.
    I have 2 yorkville 15'' cabinets and they are really loud i love them. id suggest the 15'' because i like 15's more but its really up to you, definetly get a yorkville over a fender rumble.
  10. thanks. Anyone else know anything about Yorkville amps?
  11. Very nice amps. Built very well, and have a great sound. Clean, but can grind if need be. Simple EQ, easy to dial in a good sound. Can compete w/ loud guitarists :) I've owned both the XM200 and XM200T...both were great amps. I prefered the XM200 for standalone purposes. Either of these amps would be able to kick pretty well if you also added an extension cab. Wether they'll be able to stand up to your guitarist realy depends on how loud he is... A 120 watt guitar stack will KILL the Yorkville combos if he cranks matter how loud the Yorkies are - there just isn't enough speaker area or power. I would recommend taking a look at a used head/cab setup (or for that matter, a used higher powered combo that will be the equivalent of a head/cab setup when an extension cab is added - like a Yorkville BM400). You could probably find a Peavey 2x10 or 1x15 cab and a Firebass 700 for that price if you search used. You can always add a cab later, and you won't be as limited.
  12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My opinion, you'll generally need triple the wattage of the guitarist just to even compete in the same race. If you want clean, unclipped sound, you'll need even more than that.

Of course, ANY amp can be turned down, but if this guy turns up even a fraction of his capability, you are toast with a 100 watt bass amp.
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

I'm with you on that one...

I personally think that even for practicing with a group at moderate volumes, even a WM15 is kinda weak. A minimum of 120 watts for practice and a minimum of 300 watts for a gig, IMhO.
  14. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

It has been my experience that, while I love the tone of 15 inch speakers at low volume, a 2x10 cabinet will generally cut through the mix better in a live situation. This is especially true when the power of your amp is marginal.

Others will, no doubt, disagree.
  15. So what are the pros and cons of a 2x10 vs. a 1x15? How any extra watts could you get out of each with a extension speaker?
  16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I would say to get both.

125 watts for a guitar is a lot.

300 watts for a bass is just enough.

When I was playing with my last band, I had two guitarist, one with a 50 watt tube head, and the other with a 100 watt solid state head.

At practices I would use my Nemesis amp which was about 250 watts and it could just barely keep up with everyone while it was distorting, and thats when they were turned down.

For gigs I ended up using that combo with a 900 watt power amp going into a 450 watt cab.

Something thats important to understand is that doubling your power does not double your volume. It increases your volume by about 3db. To double your volume you need an increase of 10 db.

That means to double you volume, without adding more speakers, you would need to multiply your power by 8.

Im gonna stop here and let other guys add to that.

17. Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Giggable would be an older PV TNT150 or better. They never break. I used to use 2 of them at one time. Man they really sucked as far as tone goes.

I used to play with a guitarist who used a fender 2x12 100 watt tube combo. We did mostly blues and classic rock stuff and he was loud all the time. I played thru my gk 800rb head with a 2x10 and a 15 biamped and still couldn't keep up. I bought an Eden 410xlt and had to turn down. That's how much better they are. Plus the tone was incredible.

18. what does like 200W parallel and 300W program mean?
  19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Yorkville is one of the loudest 200 watts you will ever hear. As long as he doesn't crank his halfstack too much, you'll be fine. You can also add 2 8-ohm extension cabs to it.