Gipsy Music

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Comrade Lewis, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Comrade Lewis

Comrade Lewis Guest

Jun 20, 2004
    Athens, Ga
    I was just wondering if anyone knows/has any good gipsy music they can recomend me. I can can play czardas very well in tune and close to violin tempo, and it's funness (not a word i know) has created an wanting in me. So, does anyone know of some gipsy violin solos which would be moderate on violin and hard on bass that i could look at?

P.S. not zerguinerweissen
  2. stagger lee

stagger lee

Jul 11, 2004
    stephane grapelli's a player to check out if you haven't already. a few of my favourites of his are "exactly like you" "georgia on my mind" "have you met miss jones"
  3. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
  4. Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Grapelli with Django Reinhardt (the great gypsy jazz guitarist) is some great stuff.
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Would Grappelli and Django count as true Gypsy music? I always considered them as jazz more than Gypsy. The Reinhardt brothers were the only Gypsies in the Hot Club Of France, and they played mostly jazz standards. However, they are awesome, and I would recommend them to anyone who likes music of any kind.
  7. Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    You can look up also under "manouche jazz" or "manouche guitar".

Great players as: Romane, Stochelo Rosenberg, Angelo Dabarre, Jimmy Rosenberg (has nothing to do with Stochelo), Birelli Lagrene, Dorado Schmidt, Robi Lakatos (the great violin virtuoso), Florin Niculescu (another great violinist), Sanseverino, among many, many others.
    Also consider the sons and relatives of Django Reinhardt (Babik, Fanto, etc.).
  8. DrBassie

Apr 24, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Really late into this thread, but most of Django's rhythm players were gypsies. The 3 Ferret brothers, who recorded with Django (when his brother got fed up w/ him!) were gypsies.

You can check them out. They, with other Manouche, mix gypsy style with jazz, Parisian waltz, and Bossa. The pure "gypsy" sound would come from Eastern Europe, but the nature of gypsies is their nomadic heritage. Thus, they pick up multiple styles and infuse it with others.
  9. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
  10. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY

Here is a link to a cd that I bought at the Fono record store in Budapest. I bow fiddle tunes on the bass and I found a treasure trove of great melodies, cleanly recorded, on this album. Also you might check out the Fono website.

Egé szé gé re!
  11. Recently (March) caught a 3-day Django festival in Laguna Beach Ca. Here is the website for past and future events in this area: I mention only because several currently touring artists were performing, and site will have pics.

Blew my mind: Angelo Debarre, Robin Nolan Trio, Stephane Wremble, Brandi Shearer, and John Jorgenson (a bit like Gypsy Fusion, if you can envision this). One additional act was the Gypsy Kidz. Lead guitarist is (I think) 17 years old. Their act featured a monster violinist who was only 21. I wish I could recall her name.

Anyway, Simon Planting was the primary upright (double) bassist for several of these groups. He's the one who got me into bass - talked me into it at NAMM 2006, but I ended up with horizontal bass (guitar) instead of upright. He's recorded on countless albums. The bassist for Wremble was playing an Eminence Upright and it completely blew me away. Gypsy Kidz and John Jorgenson (if I recall) were the only groups with a violinist, however. The Kidz violinist was local, and incredibly popular. I'll edit post with her name when I find it.
  12. Aspwikks

Jun 28, 2006
    Tchavolo Schmitt, one of the best regarding expression imho, and them bass parts are flying too (if, like me, you enjoy being the rythm away from the spotlight)

i don't know if thats what youre looking for since they aren't really gypsies but the 17 hippies are a band from berlin and have very (i mean very) swinging music. its more of an eastern european/klezmer type of deal.