1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

give me simple answer about pre-and post settings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pellotsalo, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Pellotsalo

Pellotsalo

Apr 28, 2008
    Ok, I am quit new with all these bass system, so I would like to get some information about pre-and post settings. I know there are good articles about this subject, but i couldnt find clear answer.

So, I have ampeg svt vr amp and on the gig our soundman always wants to use pre-setting in amp. I prefer that the sound which comes out from PA-system has something to do with "tube"-sound, because I have spent so F******* much money to get this tube sound ..:) So I would like to use post-setting. Does the pre-setting pass totally all the tubes of my amp? So if I use pre-setting, has my amp anything to do with the sound that the PA-system plays..? I know that in that case I can control all the knobs as I want and it doesnt affect PA-sound.

Thanks fellows!

Jaakko

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Even the "post" setting does not include all the tubes, it only includes the preamp section. So if the sound you want is the sound coming out of your speakers, then you have to mic the speaker cab. Using the post setting will probably not be any better for you in this case. I just downloaded the manual, and it doesn't specify whether the DI output in "pre" mode passes through the preamp tubes or not.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    As long as you can hear the tone you love, that's all that matters. Your audience doesn't give a hip-hap-rikity-crap about your tone. Honest. They just hear the songs. Don't sweat it, just enjoy what you've got.