1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Give Notice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tycobb73, Feb 20, 2013.

1. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Its looking like I will be going back to an old employer. I didn't burn any bridges with them when I left and in fact he is a person I look up to the business field. Nothing is finalized yet, but it looks good.

The situation with my current employer I could care less about. The son is on his way to taking the business over. He has 0 business skills, 0 people skills, and I honestly don't know what he is doing there. He seems better toward me since I pointed it out to his father but I've still seen him treat other people with disrespect. He hasn't apologized for anything that he's done to me, just treats me a little nicer than he did. I'm all about not burning bridges but I won't go back here. The bridge is probably already burned and I think we all know it. They keep me there because I'm decent at what I do and I'm the only one that knows how to do a good chunk of it so they'd be in a bind if I left. I also know of some questionable activity so I think they may be scared I'd squeal (which I would) if I left. If I don't give notice and work with the new person they are screwed.

From what I can tell the person whom I'd be replacing at the new job gave a week notice and they want someone fast. This comes in handy since I know the culture and I'm the one that put a lot of the systems in place so I know the software, etc.

So would you give the people who I work for now notice or just cut ties and run?

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think you could go either way. You don't owe the old job anything - it's an "at will" employment usually, and you don't seem to have it. Your future is at the new position. I think it all boils down to how it will make YOU feel. If you think you will feel bad for leaving them high and dry, then give them a few days at least.

It sounds like the son is out of his league and doesn't really know what he is doing. You are down on the job now, and understandably so, but perhaps you will earn his respect for helping and repair and not fully burn that bridge? Maybe he will realize what you did for them as he becomes more familiar with the business.

Me personally, I would give them at least a few days and try to help if I could. If you don't have the flexibility of providing that time, move on.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'd leave it up to your new employer. Tell them you feel bad about leaving the old guys hanging and ask them if they'd mind terribly if you gave them a week or 2 to find someone to replace you.

If they say they need someone immediately and the job won't wait for you, then you really aren't responsible for leaving your current employer in the lurch.

4. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    It will tae a few days to find someone to replace me. Then seriously to do the job right, we're talking 3 weeks of me working 20 hours for them so I can train the new person.

The son doesn't have a clue that he is out of his league. The problem is whenever someone, an employee, customer, whatever, is hostile towards him he amplifies that hstility by 10. Now I'm not saying this about every situation, but in most cases you are better off trying to diffuse the hostility than stoke it.

5. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    What I told them when we talked is if I was to leave, and when I did the first time, you'd want 2 weeks notice. Its respectful. If I'm willing to leave them hanging you should be concerned that I'd leave you hanging too. But talking to some people I'm wondering how many people give 2 weeks anymore.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I think if it's in a field that you'd consider a "Career", giving notice is the right thing to do.

If you're flipping burgers and want to take the summer off to follow your favorite band......... That'd be different.

7. I would give the two weeks, you never know who knows who in a given field.

lowsound

8. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    If your new employer will give you a start date 2 weeks out, give two weeks. It is the right thing to do. Why not take the high road out even if it isn't a good situation?

9. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Give notice, but know that when you do you may be terminated then and there.

A lot of companies aren't bothering to keep employees around for that last 2 weeks anymore. Especially if you're in sales or any kind of position that gives you access to proprietary information. Once they know you're leaving they want you out of there ASAP, even if they had no clue your departure was coming and they have nobody else to do your job or even lined up to interview for it.

And sometimes it's just cause they don't want to pay you for that last 2 weeks which always seems pretty chickensh*t to me but is how a lot of employers roll anymore.

10. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I'd give notice. It's the right thing to do if you can get away with it.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I would give notice. Follow your moral compass. Don't let the actions of others dictate your own integrity.

These threads always crack me up with the "I'm the best, this company is going to go under when I leave, they won't be able to replace me, the management sucks" tone ringing out.

-Mike

12. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    You should always give notice, if at all possible. It's the right and professional thing to do and can only help you.

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Give notice, and follow it with a particularly nasty fart.

14. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Its not that I'm irreplacable. I'm the only accountant at an industry specific company that uses industry specific software. There was no accountant before me. I put all the processes in place myself. I can do things with the software that no one else in the company knows how to do. No one at the company can train a new accountant completely because they don't know how to do what I do, or even what needs to be done. It took me months to get everything in place. Its all in my head and not on paper. If I leave without notice it all goes bye bye. If I give notice and work with the new accountant I take months off of his learning curve.

15. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Here is 1 of 2 reviews on yelp of the company.

Never ever deal with these people, worst customer service I've ever experienced, the manager in Grand Rapids even choses to use intimidation and shouts at his customers. The employees live in permanent fear and constantly screw up because their boss is a failed policeman that likes to play power trips on other people.

Their communication is always a threat, even when things are paid in time.

Bottom line, very bad vibes from this team, never will I ever do business with them again.

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I still suggest a putrid fart.

17. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    give notice, just for the hell of it.

if they're not doing things right, theyll learn eventually. no need to leave them in a worse position than is necessary, even if they're a bunch of idiots.

t

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Give notice. The fact that the incoming owner has no class doesn't mean that you can't show some. And in deference to them, you should not just walk out. As you point out, they deserve time to find a replacement.

I'm not responsible for how other people behave, but I am responsible for my actions. I want to behave ethically...so I would give notice.

If they hand you a check for two weeks and tell you to clear out your desk, you haven't lost anything.

19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I agree about giving notice. Two weeks is enough. You don't need to stick around indefinitely while they find your replacement. The new employer will understand if you say that you just want to be professional about it.

20. Did your contract have details of how much notice you were needed to give?

Id agree on giving notice.