1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Giving away Cascade hop rhizomes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hbarcat, Mar 8, 2010.

1. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Giving away Cascade hop rhizomes

EDIT: TIME'S UP! OFFER EXPIRED FOR THIS YEAR.
    If you aren't one of the 8 TB'ers who jumped on this right away, then you have to wait and revive this thread next year in early March. :)

Spring is coming soon and my hop plants are just now starting to awake from hibernation in anticipation of a new growing season. :hyper:

Transplanting is done at this time and I would like to offer those who are homebrewers or aspiring homebrewers the chance to have some hop rhizomes - FREE!

Hop rhizomes are the roots that are planted about 6 inches underground and will grow into vines about 8 feet long the first year and 20 - 30 feet long every year after that. The root system spreads underground and new vines will sprout up above them.

So what? (you ask) :bag:. Well, the good part is that in the fall, there will be mature hop cones that are used to flavor beer. Or you can simply make a great night-time tea from it but beer is what God intended it to be used for (according to Ben Franklin). :D

Those who are interested, should first do a little online research about how to properly grow them and where they can be successfully cultivated, and if it sounds like something you are seriously intending to do, PM me with your address and I will send you 3 sections of hop roots, each about 5 inches long. I will cover the cost of shipping (CONUS only and using USPS). The package will be a standard 6" X 10" bubble envelope mailer.

All in the cause of advancing the homebrewer's craft.

Cascade hops:
    hops-bunches.jpg

hop rhizome:
    [​IMG]

2. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I'm definitely interested but I don't have the space now. One day I will get some off you. I can't wait to brew my own beer.

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Hmm, looking up elevation restrictions.

4. I'm in!:hyper: I've been brewing since '93 but have never grown my own hops. I have a plenty of space and am planning out this years garden right now. PM coming...

5. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The last remnants of snow are still on top of my hops but it's sure to be gone by this weekend with these higher temps. My yard is pretty muddy right now. :meh:

I'll total up the list of those who PM me by this Saturday and I'll dig up the rhizomes on Sunday.

Cheers,

-Dan

6. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
  7. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Me and my roommate are trying to grow hops on out balcony, I have to see which plants survived the winter...If we are short a few I might have to take you up on that offer!

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    we're planning on moving out of our current abode before Fall. If it weren't for that I'd be all over this generous offer. :(

9. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Just went through a cold and wet weekend but I'll be digging up some hop rhizomes tonight after work (Monday). Anyone who wants some make sure your name and address is in my PM box by 3PM today and I should have the hops sent out by USPS Wednesday.

Cheers,

-Dan

10. I'll vouch for hbarcat's hops. He was nice enough to send me some.

------------------------

But what if these starter roots ["rhizomes" as he innocently calls them] are actually man-eating Triffids or will grow into big pods that will duplicate and replace you and your family?

11. Bassisgreat

Bassisgreat

Feb 23, 2008
    Dallas, Tx
    It's very cool of you to do this. I'd love to try growing hops! PM on it's way!

Thanks!

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I got them today!!! They're in the ground in the back yard as we speak! They were already sprouting in the package, so I'm sure they're viable. Stop in around November - December to sample them!!

13. No pics, no rhizomes.

You're lucky to be in CA btw. One can grow anything there it seems.

14. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Everyone should be receiving their hops about now. Get them in the ground as soon as possible and be sure to keep them moist (but not soaked). Hops need plenty of water and they like lots of sun.

They will most likely NOT yield any hop cones the first year but they will grow very well and be plentiful every year after that.

Cheers,

--Dan

15. Received them yesterday Dan. Thanks!:bassist:

16. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    Just got mine too Dan. Cheers!

17. Bassisgreat

Bassisgreat

Feb 23, 2008
    Dallas, Tx
    Got mine yesterday too. Thanks a lot, man. What a cool thing to do!

18. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Damn. Missed this. Awesomely kind though.

(As an FYI to anyone else who missed this kind offer but is still interested, try http://www.freshops.com/. Nice folks, no affiliation).

19. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    Just found mine in the mail box. I'll go plant them in a bit after I find a good place for them. Thanks again!

20. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Got mine today. Going to plant them tomorrow.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020