1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 410 MBE vs SVT410 HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SIFJiggy, Jan 18, 2012.

1. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Jan 22, 2011
    OK - so I'm thinking this is REALLY REALLY futile... MF just dropped the price of the GK to 300 bucks... I can probably sell my SVT 410HLF and make a buck.

Here's my problem --- it seems like it takes me forever to dial in my sound - and I'm just looking for feedback from anyone who has used both cabs.

Even if I get a chance to try out the GK, I have no idea if it would really work out.

Pros: the thing is 40 friggin pounds, and CHEAP!

Cons: it's not Ampeg

I'm running an SVT3Pro - so from what I've heard is that Ampeg heads + Ampeg cabs are really the only way to go unless you switch brands altogether. --- I ran a Behringer BB410 with my head and it kinda sucked.

Any thoughts?

2. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    I haven't played that cab but I own the ampeg 410HLF. I checked the spec sheets on both and can tell you that the 410MBE will sound very different from your 410HLF. They cabs are tuned very different. The GK will not go nearly as low as the Ampeg. If you don't need the lows of the Ampeg go for it. I don't know if there is a tweeter attenuator. Like the HLF. I have a MB 210 combo and the tweeter is either on or off I don't know if that is how the 410MBE cab is but I know some other GK cabs are like that. That would be a deal breaker for me as I like the tweeter just barely on on my 410 HLF but find the tweeter harsh in my GK combo so leave it off. Something to find out and consider if you use the tweeter in your HLF but not on full.

3. That HLF doesn't sound anywhere close to the classic Ampeg tone, imho. The 410-HE does the tone better than the HLF.

The HLF's bass extension is great for deep bass but I find it lacking in the mids. I like it solo, not quite in a band situation. At least in my case it got drowned out.

4. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Jan 22, 2011

That's incredible - I play hard rock so I guess that would make sense. I've got a 3-band EQ on my bass, so I don't often have to worry about midboost anyway. In all honesty - if money wasn't an issue, I'd be rocking this:

Ampeg: Pro Neo Series - PN-410HLF