1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

GK 700 RBll Amplifier "Popping" Issue....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr_O'B, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Over the last few weeks, I have accidentally stepped on my bass chord multiple times dislodging
    it from the input on the amplifier. When I plugged the bass into the amplifier input jack it makes a loud
    popping noise.

Any idea what damage I caused, and what I need to do to fix the issue?

Thanks!

2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Only when you plug it in? That can be totally normal. If the chord gets pulled out turn on the tuner mute before plugging it back in. As long as it doesn't pop, buzz, or crackle while playing chances are it is fine. If it does you may have to have the jack replaced. You can loop your cable through the amp' s handle leaving a little slack in the loop so if you step on it it just pulls The loop a little tighter, not pulling the cable out of the jack.

Mr_O'B and wave rider like this.
  3. Well, as a general rule, you shouldn't plug/unplug stuff with the amp on, or with volume/gains turned up.
    Power off if SS, put in standby if tube, or turn down (the amp not your bass) for either.

But it sounds like this is a relatively new development caused by you stepping on your cable a number of times?
    So have you tried a cable that hasn't been stepped on a number of times?

Aqualung60, Reedt2000 and Mr_O'B like this.
  4. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I examined the cable that I stepped on and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.
    However, I just went out and purchased a new cable. So far, everything appears to be working perfectly.

l appreciate the great suggestions! :):thumbsup:

Reedt2000 and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  5. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Have you ever thought about going wireless to avoid issues like this? Not being snarky, asking seriously because going wireless resolves issues such as that or even pulling the cable out of the bass. If not, try routing the cable through the cabinet handle then into the amp input so that you won't be pulling it out. As for the amp, hopefully you don't have any real issues with it.

Mr_O'B likes this.
  6. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Up until a few weeks ago, I wasn't this
    clumsy! I'll either have to go wireless, route the cable through the cabinet handle or
    stop being so darn clumsy! LOL

Believe me, this experience has taught me a valuable lesson. ;)

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Routing the cable through the handle can lead to the whole amp toppling which would not be good. I can’t remember the last time I was clumsy enough to pull my cable out of my amp. I use 25’ cables which I find are an ideal length.

Your old cable can be repaired by buying a couple of new plugs and wiring them up. Helps you learn soldering skills which are always useful even at your great age! :)

Edit: I have a wireless but never use it. It just added to the number of batteries I needed to carry spares for and would always fail in the middle of a set.

BTW, chord is a musical thing that you play. Cord is the correct spelling. I use cable as it’s more accurate. :D

Ewo and Mr_O'B like this.
  8. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Yes, its a good point that if you loop the cable through the handle tightly it can pull the amp over. I leave a loose loop which will pull out, not knock over the amp.

Mr_O'B likes this.
  9. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I have casters on my cab and pass the cable behind one of the wheels and up to the input jack. If you don't have casters, you could always just use gaffer's tape to secure the cable to the floor next to your amp.

10. +1 If your drummer is a professional spaz like mine. No matter where I put something, he'll find a way to step, trip over or knock it over. I'm usually wireless, but wired from the pedals to the amp. I've started setting the corner of the amp on the cable, with a little slack (no wheels). So nobody can knock over the amps. Worst case it breaks the cable and I grab a spare and fix it later. They usually tape down mic and monitor cables, maybe I should learn from them. I think gaff tape leaves no residue.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021