1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 800RB Biamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IWillFlyOneDay, Jul 3, 2012.

1. IWillFlyOneDay

IWillFlyOneDay

Feb 26, 2007
    Right now my current rig is a GK 800Rb into a Peavey 810 TX and my main bass is the Squier VM Jag. I've been thinking about changing my cab setup. I was thinking about getting the Ampeg 410 hlf as my main cab, and picking up a Hartke 410 xl (if they are 8 ohm, I'm not sure) to use every now and then in the high power amp section using the GK biamp feature. Anyone use a setup like this before and have any thoughts on it, if you liked the sound, etc?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Not a good fit. The Hartke is a full range cab, so there's no sense in running the amp crossed over into it. In fact, the Hartke may have more low end than the single 15. Not to mention that 100w to the 4x10 and 300w to the 115 is a bad combination.

If you're looking to use the bi-amp feature, look for a dedicated sub or lows cab and a dedicated mid or tweeter cab to make it work as designed.

3. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    Just use the 800RB full range thru the low out, it sounds wayyy better!!!

4. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    BurningSkies speak complete truth. I have an 800RB and have been down that road to perdition. Run it full range.

5. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    ran mine full range most of the time. Small venues once in a while i would biamp with a JBL 145 and 2 10 for the highs. ability to make it seem much louder that i was actually playing - kind of like a loud button on a boom box

6. +1 on the above comments.

I use a 800RB full range, either 2-15 for the 300 watt section, or for outdoors I'll add a third 15 run by the 100 watt section.

I'd imagine an 8-10 w/the 300 watt section alone is plenty.

7. jackcheez

jackcheez

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    For what it's worth, the 100 watt amp in the 800RB can run full range or crossover.

I used a 2 X 15 and a 2 X 10 with an 800RB for a while. It was a great rig to play through.

Ultimately, I can't say that it was really any better than the 800RB with the 8 x 10 tho.

8. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    After f'ing with all manner of combinations, biamped and not I settled on 2x410's full range. One for small gigs, two for large.

9. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Hey, if it fits! :bassist:

10. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    +1
    I run mine with the 300w amp to a Neo410 and the 100w amp to a Neo210 on top. Run 'em both full range. It rocks for bigger rooms or outdoor gigs.......:hyper:

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The biamp thing works great IF you use speakers designed for that. Like my 12 12 + 6 combination, or a sub + top combination, or some other such appropriate setup. All these cabs y'all are talking about are "fullrange" bass cabs, so +1 to what these guys already said. Set it fullrange and play. And yes, you can run another 8ohm cab off the 100 watt amp, with a fullrange signal, when the amp is set to fullrange. dhsierra1 has a good setup for doing that. Some of you "over the top" guys could use it to run a 1210 stack if you wanted. Why, I have no idea, but you could.

12. because you CAN, bwahahahahaha! :D

13. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Honestly the hartke 410xl is a majorly midrangey cab. The 4.5 xl is light years better. The larger box gives it low end the 410 doesn't possess and the 5" "tweeter" extends the high end up a tad.

That being said, if you are wanting to biamp using your 800rb, I'd just straight out snag a GK 410 cab that is set up for it from the get go. Most of the people I know who have that head use it full range though.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The 800rb is a different animal from the rest of the GK line. Doesn't do the 5khz tweeter amp thing. Crossover adjusts 100-1000hz with 100 watt amp on the high side. Passing a tweeter that low would kill it on the first note.

15. I have used a sub + full range cabs in a biamped setup with sansamp rbi. Absolutely kills my 15 + 2x10 full range, which is pretty darn good all the same.

Take the GK down to the music store and biamp it with the 410hlf and any old 2x10 vertically stacked and crossover 120hz. Promise you will be amazed. It sounds like everything is coming out of the 2x10, crystal clear.

A purpose designed sub and top would be more efficient but you would need the whole rig every time.