1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 800RB transformer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cjp3044, Oct 29, 2013.

1. cjp3044

cjp3044

Oct 10, 2008
    Clovis, CA
    Hi all -

I have a dead 800RB on my bench with a bad transformer. This is an older unit with the horizontal power switch. I have been in contact with Gallien Krueger tech support and was told that they do not stock the transformer - that they do not have a part number and do not know of a suitable substitute for it.

I was a little surprised but OK, this is an older unit - but not THAT old there wouldn't be people still using these amps or that repairs didn't need to be done.

So I'm reaching out - can anyone advise me on a transformer replacement for this amp? I can't even find specs on what the output voltages are supposed to be (zero, right now, because it's dead), but I believe one of the outputs is supposed to be 85 volts before it hits (one of) the rectifier(s) - but I couldn't even tell you which rectifier that voltage is supposed to go to even if I had it.

Anyone? Dead RB800 lying around with a good transformer? Luck with a replacement tranny?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I can check mine when I get home tonight if that'll help. In 1996, they switched to toroids, with a change order for the required parts changes. I may have that in an old email I could send.

If TB'er B-string sees your thread, he could square you away with much better details, tech advise, etc.

3. cjp3044

cjp3044

Oct 10, 2008
    Clovis, CA
    Thanks Will. Much appreciated.

4. 350-0004-0 is the part number for the transformer conversion kit (new bottom panel, transformer and hardware). Last I knew it's list price was $130 + shipping.
    I have a .pdf file of the conversion instructions if you want to PM me an email address.
    Email or call: lailany@gallien.com
    or (209) 234-7300 extension 120. 9am to 4pm PST USA.
    The original EI transformer was a special wind, not an "off the shelf".
    Hope this helps.

5. Anyone with interest the transformer conversion kit is still available as of 10/29/2013 for $163.99 plus shipping. Info from the OP today. :)

6. OP, I have a trashed 800RB that I bought years ago as a project. I have no idea of the condition of the PT but if you pay the price of shipping the whole shebang is yours. :)

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    We need more people like Paul in the world. ;)

8. cjp3044

cjp3044

Oct 10, 2008
    Clovis, CA
    Yes we do.

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    If you don't already have it, contact GK for the schematic for that amp- it has the voltages shown for the test points.

10. I sent the OP the service manual and service memos :).

11. cjp3044

cjp3044

Oct 10, 2008
    Clovis, CA
    Waiting for the owner to OK the repair - what are these going for on the used market?