GK Backline 600 Amp No Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rericjohnson, Oct 26, 2017.

1. I bought a GK Backline 600 amp a few years back, but have had to put it into storage due to moving issues. I got it back within the last few months and haven't played a lot on it. When I turned on the amp, it seemed to take a bit of time "warming up," with the crackle sounds adjusting the volume. Now, I can't seem to get sound out of it. I tried plugging the cabinet into both ports on the back, but still no sound.

I know my bass isn't the issue, as I just recently played it through another amp combo, and I'm pretty sure the cabinet is just fine. My question (or questions) is what could be possibly wrong with the amp? It still lights up. Also, if I can't fix it myself, would it be even worth it to take to a shop, or just buy another amp head?

Thoughts?

2. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    At first glance, highest probability issues would probably be bad speaker cable, or potentially patch bay problem.

Try a different speaker cable and if it isn't that, then try connecting a patch cable between the send and return ports and see if you still have the issue.

rericjohnson likes this.
  3. I bought a new speaker cable not too long ago, but I will give that a shot. Thanks.

4. jwinton

jwinton

Apr 12, 2009
    Try spraying the input jack in the back with some pot cleaner...if it was in storage for a while, it's possible that the jacks are so dirty that you're not getting a connection...happened to an amp of mine a few years back & my amp tech just cleaned it for me...

5. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'd strongly advise against spraying anything directly into the jacks. If you do have something appropriate in hand for it like Deoxit, I recommend spraying a little an a 1/4" plug and gently inserting/removing it a few times.

agedhorse likes this.
  6. jwinton

jwinton

Apr 12, 2009
    Yes, sorry if I stated that poorly...spray deoxit or similar cleaner on a 1/4" cable end or a q-tip & gently run it back & forth in the input jack...don't just shoot a stream of spray into the jack...thanks, kap'n kro...

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Try linking the Send and Return of the Effects Loop with a signal cable and see if that helps.

8. Thanks guys. I tried spraying the jack first, but it was to no avail. So I ended up spraying INTO the ports, and THAT ended up working. I think with the force of the air helped clear some of the dust, debris, etc., but anyways, It's working like a champ. Just in time for a gig this weekend.

Thanks for everyone's input.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022