1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Combo Shootout...MB210 vs. MB212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallboybass, Apr 21, 2010.

1. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thought I'd start new thread here to consolidate the comparisons.

After un-packing the new MB212, I weighed it on my NSCBS (Not So Calibrated Bathroom Scale). It weighed in at 38 lbs. vs. 32.5 for the MB210...it definitely feels like a bit more, though I'm a self-admitted 'weight wimp'. Of course it stands something like 2.5" taller.

Using a Lakland JO5 passive with Duncan single-coils, a bass that is not known for note heft, rather, it grinds and has incredible note definition. It works best with an amp that tends to beef up the sound rather than being 100% accurate.

I started with all knobs straight up, to get a baseline idea of where each amp stood tonewise without tweeking. There was a surprising difference in sound between the two amps. The MB210 was shaking the whole house with lows like it usually does, while the MB212 sounded much more even and accurate....with LOTS more volume. As far as the B string goes, the MB212 seemed much more comfortable with it, staying well-defined all the way down. One thing I need to mention here is the MB210 changed radically as it broke in. I remember it sounding much more even at first, then the lows slowly started dominating the sound over the course of several gigs. That would be a good thing for me with this bass that I'm using. We'll see how it changes, I'm using it this weekend and expect to have more booty even just after the 2 nights playing.

Let me know what else you'd like to know. When I recover from mowing the lawn, the MB210 will go on top of a Trace Elliot 15 for another installment.

Thanks, Alan

2. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I'll be very curious as to what your final conclusions are after the MB212 is broken in. I've been having a rough time choosing between these 2 combos. Thanks for taking the time to compare them and post up your thoughts.

Zach

3. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    You bet Zach. I had a hard time finding direct comparisons, so this thread should fix that. It's wide open to others who have both of these fine combos and would like to post their thoughts too.

4. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I take it that you'll be selling off the one that you like least out of the two?

5. I also own a MB210, I think the combo is very bass heavy too for being only 2x10's. I was thinking that the MB212 combo was going to be the ultimate DUB combo!?!?! I guess they tweaked the cabs on the 2x12's so they wouldn't be boomy.

I had to had to sell one of smaller gigs/practice rigs not too long. I had a MB210 and an Aguilar AG500/GS210 combo to choose between, I ended up keeping the GK over the Aguilar! The light weight, portability, volume, and great sound help me decide on keeping the GK over the Aggie, but it was no where an easy choice (My back had the final vote in the end! :D )

6. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Not sure yet. They each have a unique voice right now. If the bottom end opens up on the 212, they'll be pretty similar though. Time will tell.

7. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    The MB210 knocked out some high-dollar stuff on my gig! It replaced a Bergie AE410 + Shuttle 6.0!!! If this was a louder gig, things would be different though.

8. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    [​IMG]

9. I use an Aguilar DB750/GS210/GS212 when the going gets tough :bassist:

10. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    What a great rig!!

I've got every conceivable type of gig covered....but the only thing going for me right now is a piano trio that is inching into more ROCK every weekend. It's all about the load-in, load-out for me because of physical issues and these little combos have made that easy, with plenty of tone to boot!

11. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    is there a big volume difference between the mb210 and mb212 by themselves?

also, have you tried hooking up the mb210 to a 410 cab?

thnx!

12. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    Can anyone tell me if the aux line in comes out the main speakers and DI? If so is it pre or post EQ?

13. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yes, it seems like a big volume difference to me...and a different 'quality' of sound with the MB 212 having more definition, mids and highs. Again though, this may be due to it not being broken in yet (and I never 'believed' in break-in periods until the MB210).

No, I don't have an 8 ohm 410 cab to try. I do have a 115 cab, that's next!

14. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    well, unfortunately the mb210 is the only one I can get at the moment. I'll be trying it tomorrow (and probably buying it)

15. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    According to the block diagram, it enters right before the Master, so it misses the DI, Gain, EQ, Contour and Boost. Definitely comes out the speakers.

16. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    Thanks.

17. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Not many gigs you couldn't do with the MB210 on a 410 or 115 IMO.

18. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    yeah but somebody pointed out that the MB210 amp itself may not be powerful enough to power a 410 cab (for a 610 overall setup).

i would be bummed...

19. Hey chaps. What's the difference between the MB500 standalone amp and the amp in the MB212? Thanks

20. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    Lots of people run 4, 6, 8, tens all day long with no problems. The 300 watt SVT was meant to run 16 tens! Watch your ohms and use good quality speaker cables.