1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by remainthesame, Aug 17, 2012.

1. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    hey guys, i am experiencing some crackling noise comming from the amp. i checked the input on the bass, i tried different cables and its still crackling. it doesnt do it on my peavey so i think its the gk. any suggestions? anybody know whats wrong or how to help me? any advise would be greatly appreciated. keep rocking guys, i look forward to the feedback.

2. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Try cycling a 1/4" plug in and out of the send/return jacks. They may just need reseating.

X8

3. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    You could also slip a piece of paper between the contacts of the input jack. You'll have to open it up to do that, but I've seen it work on a similar problem with an Alembic preamplifier. Voila- silence! Until playing, of course... :D

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1 to a good cleaning of all the jacks, switches and pots. Does the crackling seem to be related to turning any particular knobs?

5. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    no its just when i play. my guitarist thinks it might be the cabinet.

6. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Try to isolate which piece of gear is causing the problem,, i.e., the instrument, the lead, the amp. the speaker cable, the speaker, etc. Once you've narrowed it down to what item has the problem, fixing it becomes much easier.

7. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    i will try the jack thing. does anybody else have any other possible explainations that i can look into?

8. junkman

junkman

May 12, 2012
    +1 on isolating the issue. I have a 1001rb-ii and had to send it in a few months ago because it had some faint crackling and poping sounds. GK said it had a bad transistor when I got it back. The amp has been perfect ever since.

9. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    does GK cover that?

10. did you clean all the jacks yet - expressly the effect send/return jacks with De-Oxit cleaner yet?

11. junkman

junkman

May 12, 2012
    They have a 1 year warranty that does but I think you have to pay shipping. I had a coverage plan with the company I bought it from so everything was covered. It is my understanding that even if it is no longer under warranty they will repair it, they just charge you.

12. Does it happen to every note you play, or just some notes? Does it matter how loud the amp is or how hard you play?

I have a problem with my old MB150E where certain notes will loudly distort. Sounds similar to the "messing-with-input-jack" roar. But only on some notes. And does not seem to happen when playing lightly/quietly.

I'm not an expert, but if you have having similar symptoms I'd vote for your problem not send/return/jack related. Speaker or electronics might be the source.

13. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    yeah its on certain notes, the harder i hit my strings the more prominent it is. same if i turn my mids up, the noise gets worse