GK Legacy 1200 white noise issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by universe, Nov 8, 2020.

1. universe

universe

Apr 2, 2013
    Hey everyone,

so I am on the hunt for a bass amp for my fmc cl 410 (German made cabinet)
    and I ordered three different heads to try them out with the cabinet.

Aguilar AG 700, Fender Bassman 800 and GK Legacy 1200.

Out of the three the clarity of the Legacy seems to fit most for what I need at the moment. Also the fans in the Aguilar are ridiculously loud (I wonder why they don't manage to fix this... cool amp otherwise).

No fan issues with the legacy BUT! there is a constant white noise coming through the speakers (no such issues while using the cabinet with other heads). This is happening no matter if a bass is connected or not and also when master and trim are turned down.

So I was wondering:are there other people experiencing the same with this amp and is there's something you can do about it?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  2. fgallien

fgallien

Mar 3, 2014
    Hey there, where is your trim knob set? Sounds like your trim might be dialed in low and you are cranking everything else? The Trim knob doesn't control volume, rather it controls the input signal going into the amp from the bass.

jeff7bass likes this.
  3. bassfret1

bassfret1

Dec 21, 2021
    Tucson, AZ

4. bassfret1

bassfret1

Dec 21, 2021
    Tucson, AZ
    NOISY GK LEGACY 115 - Hi there. I just bought a GK Legacy combo 115 a few weeks ago. Love it, but after warming up, got a constant midhigh whining noise from the speaker, louder than it seems it should. Tried all combinations of trim, vol., eq, horn on/off, other cords and basses-no change. Followed GK"S setup guidelines. The sound was gone with mute on, back with mute off. No unusual sound from the two fan ports in the back, it's definitely from the speaker. I do play in a quiet room, but it still seems abnormal. Contacted Jason Finley at GK, sent him video and audio samples, he replied it sounded abnormal. I actually bought ANOTHER Legacy 115 last week- it has the EXACT same problem. Awaiting another response from GK. I love the combo - it's earthshaking and clean, the way I like it - I just want to know if this sound is normal, in which case I have to decide if it's worth living with, or if it's abnormal, ie an engineering defect or something, and have to return BOTH! I'm out $2600 so far. Any thoughts? thanks!

5. bassfret1

bassfret1

Dec 21, 2021
    Tucson, AZ
    ps did I read that GK uses the same amp head in all the combos? so the same problem could be in the 112 etc.?

6. Frovan

Frovan

May 9, 2017
    Old thread, but im having white noise as well in the same way with my Legacy 800 through a Neo 412. What ended up happening?

7. bassfret1

bassfret1

Dec 21, 2021
    Tucson, AZ
    thks! Sweetwater had their techs listen for the sound, sent me a replacement to try-same problem; sent me A SECOND replacement (gk legacy 115), same issue- i decided it WAS the fan. and GK never got back to me after their initial reply. Ultimately i decided it was not for me, but for those whom the hiss doesn't bother, it is otherwise a greatcombo amp. thks for checking in.

8. Frovan

Frovan

May 9, 2017
    Oh I didn't realize yours was with a combo amp. I'm waiting for GK to get back to Sweetwater about my head at the moment. It's not a big deal to me if it's normal amp noise, but if a replacement that's silent comes in I'd be happy.

9. bassfret1

bassfret1

Dec 21, 2021
    Tucson, AZ
    FYI....I believe that GK uses the same 800 head in all their current bass combo amps, so they may be the same. good luck, enjoy!

Frovan likes this.
  10. Frovan

Frovan

May 9, 2017
    Ahh ok, that makes sense. I ended up talking to Jason at GK earlier and he explained that the faint hiss is because of the noise floor of those amps. It's honestly very faint, and I can't hear it when standing 6 ft away, or when playing. So, i can live with it. It's just a tad more noticeable to my ears than other amps I've had.

11. Do these cabs/amps have adjustable tweeters? If so, does attenuating the tweeter help a bit?

My Legacy 800 is dead silent with tweeters in my GK112 II cabs at mid-point or lower, but if I have them all the way up I get some hiss.

12. Frovan

Frovan

May 9, 2017
    I have my tweeter off anyways, but its worse with it on. I ran it with a preamp pedal for the first time today, bypassing the Legacys pre, and it still had the hiss. It comes from the power section.

13. Gotcha. Sorry man. That's a bummer. :/

I run the gain as instructed in the manual, which ends up being 3 o'clock for me depending on the bass. Cooking along with a good drummer I'm usually around 9:30/10 o'clock on the master. Howbout you?

14. Frovan

Frovan

May 9, 2017
    I just got this amp and cab a couple weeks ago, so I haven't used it anywhere but home yet.

15. Chamber

Chamber

Jul 9, 2011
    California
    I've a Legacy combo and I hear the noise, it's consistently there regardless of what's plugged in or where the knobs are set, trim/level/volume doesn't seem to affect it. It's noticeable at bedroom levels, but I can't imagine it being any issue at decent volumes as I'm positive that any hiss/buzz from my instrument and pedals will drown out the noise coming from the amp. It doesn't bother me as it's by far the best amp I've ever owned. I wonder if there's some sort of interference happening from other electronics in my house.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  16. bassfret1

bassfret1

Dec 21, 2021
    Tucson, AZ
    Wish I had been told that for sure at the beginning....I just needed to know that it was NORMAL, and not an inherent problem that could worsen over time and needed attention....oh well, done deal, it's now in the past.

17. Frovan

Frovan

May 9, 2017
    Same here. Jason at GK told me it's from power section, so the pre wouldn't affect it at all.

Chamber likes this.
  18. Frovan

Frovan

May 9, 2017
    It sounds like we're talking about different things. Based on what you described your's doing, I don't think mines making the same noise.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022