1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB150E-112 vs MB115 vs 400RB/112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AuxOne, Nov 8, 2010.

1. AuxOne

AuxOne

Sep 10, 2010
    Brooklyn
    I read through the GK Amp super thread, and it's a lot to take in. Can anyone provide their comments specifically regarding the Gallien Krueger MB150E-112 ($800) vs MB115 ($400) vs 400RB/112 ($200)?

I know the MB150E is the best, but does it really justify being twice the price of the MB115 but with a smaller sized speaker?

Since I'm just a hobbyist, I also found a used 400RB/112 online for half the price of the MB115 and from that perspective it's hard to justify even getting the MB115, let alone paying 4 times more for the MB150E.

In short, if I put up the cash for the MB150E will I, as a hobbyist, be able to appreciate the extra features that come with it? Or should I just get the 400RB/112 and be blissfully unaware.

I went to test them out at my local Guitar Center but the 400RB is discontinued, and the MB115 is so popular they are out of them.

Thanks!

2. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    It all depends on what you want to do with it. How loud a band? how large a venue? What kind of sound are you after?

You can find a lot of info on the MB150 over on the DB side...check the amp forum sticky. A lot of jazz players like it for its relatively uncolored tone compared to an amp like the 400 RB/112 that I think of as more of an electric bass amp. I'm guessing you have some sort of upright/EUB since you list Innovation slap strings on your gear ?

The MB115 is one of the newer amps and from what I've heard can be a good option for doubling with DB or EUB and an electric bass as is the MB210 I bought last March. Less expensive than the MB150 and a few less features, but also more volume when needed - The MB210 is 350w as combo and 500w with extension cab. It's been great for me doubling with DB and an acoustic bass guitar... the 33 lb combo is plenty of sound for my needs with gain and master half way up. If I needed more volume all the time I'd look hard at the MB212, which although it has larger speakers I've heard has a "less boomy and tighter sound" than the MB210

3. AuxOne

AuxOne

Sep 10, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Thanks for your input. I'm mainly a EB player, but I recently purchased a DB. I don't have a EUB. I don't play out much at all; it's mostly for studio work. One of the important considerations is I've heard most GKs have a 1MOhm input impedance which means they work well with piezoelectric pickups.

It's interesting to me that DB players get the amp with a more expensive preamp just because it sounds more natural. Kinda defeats the purpose of paying for all those fancy knobs!

I looked into the MB210 -- now I have even more to think about! I can't help but feel like a 15 is always superior to 10s since 15s just feel more bassy. Are you happy with the 10s or do you find yourself using the extension cab a lot?

4. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    I have run a Rev solo II pickup directly into the MB210 and it worked fine, but I usually use an HPF-Pre so I don't have to worry about infrasonics from the piezo that suck power and cause "boominess" and it also has a phase reverse switch.

Usually DB players prefer 10 or 12 inch speakers, or in the case of Phil Jones amps even 5" speakers, to 15" as the DB is plenty bassy to begin with. The MB115 for some reason seems to be an exception to that from what Gearhead43 says... he's been gigging one with DB for a year and last I heard is still happy with it.

I've never used an extension cab with the MB210... I get more volume than I've ever needed with just the combo. Gain and master half way up and boost all the way down for DB and roll off the bass EQ to about 10:00. The 2 groups I play with plugged in aren't that loud... generally folk rock with max of two guitars, a small drum kit and sometimes a piano/keys. If I need more volume than that I'd use the amp for a monitor and go front of house as IME the feedback potential from high stage volumes with DB is just not worth the headaches.

BTW if you go test drive the GK's be sure to push the button that bypasses the horn. The one on the MB210 is noisy.