GK mb200 ultra light head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pigdog, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigdog

pigdog

Jul 10, 2010
    200w @ 4 ohms,under 3lbs, and under $300!, has anyone used these? is it any good? or do you get what you pay for when talking about amp heads?

2. It's GK. Good enough. ;] Even better when they're US made ones. Nothing wrong with the Asian ones, but damn that American quality! =D

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    The low-wattage doesnt bother me as much as the fact that its missing some key knobs. I don't think I could live with a contour switch (instead of an adjustable knob) and one volume knob only. I have a phsycological disorder that requires me to constantly change my tone to be happy. The only effective treatment is more knobs.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would not be using one of these as my main head, but for personal practice (with headphone option), reasonable-volume group practice, and/or gig backup (throw it in your gig bag pocket, just in case; love the DI, too), it's brilliant!

6. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    In the Great Southwest
    I've had one on order from MF for a while now. They are supposedly shipping from GK, but mine is still backordered. I'd be interested in hearing a review from somebody who owns one.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, I'm waiting for them to become readily available and them I'm ordering one for rehearsals.

8. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    I ordered one that is in stock and being shipped to me
    tomorrow from Bass Northwest, and they price matched
    to what rmc quoted....can't wait :hyper:

9. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    In the Great Southwest
    The arrival date at MF has been at Aug 9 for a while now, so maybe this date will stick. Please give us a review once you get it.

10. Loel

Oct 31, 2004
    Will do!!

11. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Just played one. Was very impressed. Nice bottom end yet plenty of high end brilliance. So tiny. It's amazing.

12. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    Did you miss the second gain/power knob most amps have? What cab did you use?

sorry, I'm trying real hard not to like this, but I keep getting drawn to it.

13. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    SWR Goliath JR 2x10 w/tweeter. I switched back and forth between a Backline 600 and the MB200. Flat I liked the MB200 better. Backline has more tone shaping ability obviously. If you like to twiddle around with lots of knobs and blends then the MB200 is probably not for you.

14. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    thanks

15. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    I specifically don't like to twiddle with knobs. I'd play an amp with nothing but an On switch and a volume knob if I liked how it sounded.

So tiny! And the price! The price is how I'll ever get away with buying one, because I have virtually no need for it, and Mrs. Bomb knows this.

I must have one.

--Bomb :bassist:

16. Loel

Oct 31, 2004
    Got an email from Bass Northwest with tracking no.
    hopefully mine will be here Friday or Monday :cool:can't wait..

This thing is so small and cool,i can think of many uses,
    about the price of a pedal,gotta love that..

17. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Now I'm debating whether to grab one of these little guys for $250 or a brand new Backline 600 for $275. Yea the Backline 600 is bigger and heavier but much more tone control. Hmm....

18. CH Design

CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Does anyone who has one of these on order have any experience with an EA Micro 300? I have read a lot about how the EA Micros don't sound as loud as a typical 300 watt head. I'm wondering how a GK MB200 would compare since GK's typically sound way louder than similarly rated amps.

19. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Never tried an EA Micro 300 but the GK was plenty loud. I mean don't expect a 500 watt amp but for 200 watts it really thumped. I was very surprised.

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just played my MB200 at practice last night. My typical practice rig is a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.10/12 combo with the extension 1x12. Because of the single speaker output on the MB200 and the way that the Genz-Benz combo/cab are wired up, I was only able to drive one of the 1x12's, meaning I was running an 8-ohm load (and pushing 140 watts). Even so, I was totally able to keep up with our drummer and fairly loud guitar player. I was very impressed! The tone from this head is really great, as well. It sounds just like the MB500, which I really like.

So far, so good! I am really digging this little head! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

21. CH Design

CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Judging by your comments, is it fair to say that you think the MB200 has a similar, or even more, output than the original EA Micro 300? I'm guessing that it probably has a lot stronger low end and doesn't sound as flat as the Micro either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.