1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MBE head into an Aggie GS112?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Ben Esparza, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Has anyone used this setup for URB? I have a line on an Aguilar GS112 and am looking for portability, lightweight, and great tone. Was wondering if anyone is happy with this setup.

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I used that cab as an extension to my combo for a while, either with or without the internal speaker on, meaning I sent it different wattages. i loved the construction of the cab, but never really got a good result. I did like it better with some other heads.

My conclusion was that I likely wasn't able to drive it hard enough with the little GK head and I sold it.

Sorry, that's my story. YMMV

I loved, by the way the SWR 2x10 cab as an extension and so did my bandmates. Golith Jr, maybe. I borrowed it and loathed giving it back.

3. I will be using it for trad jazz and mellow lounge gigs...all in smaller venues. Maybe that might help in peoples assessment of the setup.

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I remember when BP did a 1x12 shootout several years ago. They picked the Aggie as #1. Even mentioned upright in their testing. But I just don't see it mentioned that often in this forum at all. Not to say that's bad, again I'm just talking about the content of this forum. And the choices for 1x12's have changed and become more numerous since then.

5. I use it-GS112 pwrd from a LMII- with my EIB every week for our Jazz/blues quartet. that cab IMO does a superb job. sounds GREAT & altho not as loud as some other 112's it seems to be plenty tp ge my bass banging to thr back of the room- where sometimes there's a 100 ppl w/ 30 up dancing. this is a sun. eve gig... 7-10pm
    I use an EUB, but a friend uses his acoustic URB w/ a MB head & GS112- he got his coz he liked the sound of mine so much. His sounds great too. He USED to use a MB 4x10".... dunno whether he kept or got ridda that?? But I've not seeen him USE IT since he got the GS112

6. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think there are better, more lightweight and portable 1x12 cabinets available, such as the Euphonic Audio Wizzy M (~30 lbs and very easy to carry). The Wizzy M sounds great and has a much higher sensitivity rating (103 dB SPL) than the GS112 (95 dB which is on the low side). An 8 dB difference in sensitivity is like increasing your amplifier's power by about 6 times, so that's pretty significant. The new Schroeder Mini 12+ Light also looks very interesting, only weighs 20 lbs, and has a respectable 100 dB SPL sensitivity rating.

7. Do any of you that know or have heard both feel that maybe a Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 10.5 may be the better call?